Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kctv5.com/news/25770191/detail.html

the news link said:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City police officers mistook a backfiring van for gunshots and shot at the van and eventually shot out the windows of their patrol car Thursday night at Interstate 435 and Gregory Boulevard
:shakehead:

news link said:
“I was scared," said the van's driver, Thomas, who asked that his last name not be used. "I couldn’t understand why they were shooting at me."

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I saw this somewhere a while back. To be honest, how badly would you be crapping your draws if all the sudden LEO open fired on you in your vehicle and you had no idea why they were emptying their weapons at you? Just crap your pants and move on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
How can you shoot before you ID your target?

On deployments our we were always told positively ID your target then engage. I would think that police officers would have even more strict rules for shooting at someone. So they heard a noise that sounded like gunfire coming from the area of a van? Somehow that warranted shooting at the van. How did they know it wasn't full of children?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Whole lotta wtf going on there.
Wonder what class taught them to shoot at a loud noise with deadly force? Must have been in the same weeks teachings along with "don't bother to ID your target" & "bystanders and innocents don't matter".
Now if I did that, I'd be in jail. Guess they have different 'standards'.

·
Registered
156 Posts
And if a private citizen (who had a CC license) had done this, not only would he or she understandably go to jail, but the media would have jumped all over it as "yet another example of why only police officers should be allowed to carry firearms".

Would have been funny is it hadn't shown such a lack of judgment, training and discipline concerning the officers involved, and had such a potential for tragic results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts