Katie Couric

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

She is a horrible newscaster. Not because of this....just because she really is that bad.

btw...her show is failing, it won't be long now.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Fair Questions

I think her questions were fair. Any bias inherent in her questions came from the basic premise that because of the V.T. massacre, people all over the country are demanding more gun control. And there is some truth to that, although most of the people beating those drums have been beating them for years, long before this incident.

Nothing unfair about asking what the Second Amendment means to him. It means different things to different people. The only thing it appears to mean is what it says, and it can't mean that. If the courts interpreted the 2A to literally mean that no gun control of any kind could be done by any level of government (no infringement, period), this country would hold a constitutional convention and the 2nd Amendment would be repealed within months.

Nothing unfair about asking why guns make for killing people (Glock 19) are sold under the same circustances as sporting-only weapons that are only good for hunting and target shooting, but not particularly suitable as close combat weapons. In an ideal world, I think people should have to get a license to buy or own a gun made for killing. And a mental health evaluation would be part of the process of getting that license. The only reason I don't support such a law now is that the bleeding heart liberals who dominate the psychology world would likely declare most hard-line God-fearing conservative Republicans to be mentally ill. Even if they knew it weren't true, they'd say we were just to disarm us, because it would be within their power to do so.

Why do people need semi-auto 9mm pistols? That's kind of a stupid question, I must say. Why do cops need them? Cops need them because cops sometimes encounter really bad people who try to kill them, sometimes with weapons, and sometimes the bad guys outnumber the cop in question. Why do civilians need the same guns as cops? Because usually the bad guys attack civilians most of the time, and only encounter the cops when they mess up and don't flee the scene fast enough. Civilians are the first ones to have to deal with the bad guys, then somebody calls 911 and the cops come along later.

(That being said, I think our society would be the safest if we could somehow make all semi-autos disappear from the face of the Earth and then encourage civilians to carry 5-shot revolvers. That way, a bad guy who wants to commit a massacre would have no more than 10 shots immediately available to him (one gun in each hand), but he'd be facing the prospect of being shot at by dozens of people, each with 5 rounds to send his way. He might score a couple kills before being turned into Swiss cheese, but he couldn't do the kind of crime that really makes headlines across the country, or the world, for more than a week. And of course we have to eliminate victim disarmament zones. Anyplace it's physically possible for a bad guy to sneak in a gun, that's where good guys should be encouraged to carry them.)

4. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Fair Questions

I hope your five shot revolver helps if you are ever faced with a lynch mob.

No thanks.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Are you f-ing serious?

6. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

[​IMG]

7. Taler

Taler New Member

Errrrr, not sure I agree with you gunsmoker.

I'm pretty sure the second would not be repealed, but if it were, I suspect that coincidental would be the "revolution" to which some have alluded.

I don't understand how fairness fits into a question about my choice of weapon, whether for hunting or self-defense.

I don't actually "need" an auto in 9mm, as I prefer something in a larger caliber. My reasons are identical to those you enumerate for cops, i.e., I might encounter really bad people who want to kill me or mine, they may have weapons, and I may be outnumbered.

Generally, either 21 or 30 keep me company. I've read reports of good guys missing with five. Society is one of those nebulous terms, like government, with whom one can never converse, and neither society nor government should be allowed to restrict rights that predate the constitution, and are the birthright of every person.

8. Jaws

Jaws New Member

Wow.

First you say you'd like to see autoshuckers magically disappear from the planet.

Then you have a signature line reading, "Gun Control isn't about guns-- It's about CONTROL."

Uh...I think we'll be in for quite an entertaining thread if you try to unpack that piece of disconnected logic.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Maybe if we all carried sticks with pointy rocks on the end of it our society would be really safe. C'mon man.........don't be a Zumbo.

10. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Na that wouldn't work, I use a stick with dog poo on the end. works every time, talk about non-lethal measures. Doesn't conceal in my pocket to well though.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I am so very disappointed.

12. Malum Prohibitum

I am sure King George would have agreed, especially after all those psychos at Lexington and Concord opened fire, massacring innocent government employees who were doing no more than trying to make the colony safe.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:shock:

14. Taurus

Taurus New Member

:screwy: Uhhhoooo...Gunsmoker's cracked again....Anyone seen his meds anywhere??? What's the Ph# for 911?? We need to get him some help real quick! :shock: