Kansas - Better than Georgia?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This sort of relates to the Oregon post, below, where the opinion was asserted that the laws were not restrictive because they were "old" and that such laws could not be passed today.

Kansas, where the Governor successfully vetoed concealed carry last year, just overrode the Governor's veto this year.

She (the Governor) stated when she vetoed the bill that she "supports the Second Amendment" :roll: and cited as proof the fact that she signed a bill the previous year to allow retired police officers to carry concealed!

Anyway, the veto override vote was overwhelmingly successful. How did they do it? Well, they compromised with the anti-gun people and the compromisors by adding "off limits" places to the bill. And, in the end, Kansas still has less places off limits than Georgia!

Why does Georgia have the most Off Limits places of any state in the nation?

Article about Kansas law: http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/ ... 18492.html

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Well this gives me a little hope. But based on the BS being flung around in that commitee meeting on SB 396 the other day, I am still skeptical as to much we can get done here. We need to figure out a way to get a pro gun witness to show up; I notice the libs seem to always be able to find someone. And no ... you don't want me to do it :wink:

ensuring people can be secure in their person vs. indoctrinating children so they they can't think critically .... hmmmm ... yeah ... tough call :roll:

I also noticed the author of that article mentioned that only AK and VT allow CCW without a permit. What about states the allow open carry? Doesn't AZ allow that.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Kansas = 39 "shall issue" states.

4. Malum Prohibitum

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jan/0 ... city_local

"Kansas enters the new year with nearly 3,000 people cleared for carrying concealed handguns."

"And more applications are coming into the Kansas Attorney General’s Office."

"'Actually, it's picked up a little bit in the last two weeks of December,' said Chuck Sexson, the office's director of concealed services. He said last week that he expected about 5,000 applications would have been received by the start of 2007."

"The state had mailed 2,981 license approval notices to concealed carry applicants as of Wednesday, Sexson said. The next step is for applicants to take their notices to a Kansas driver's license office and have their concealed carry licenses made." ...

5. kkennett

kkennett New Member

With Ohio and, I think, Wisconsin, having recently over-ridden gubernatorial vetoes, this trend has to be seen as catching.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Wisconsin failed. Wisconsin and Illinois are they only two states in the nation with no provision for concealed carry at all, although Wisconsin has open carry.

7. kkennett

kkennett New Member

You're right about Wisconsin. I think they failed by one vote to override. What was the other state that recently succeeded in their override?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

don't know about override, but Nebraska passed a CCL law in 06

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

oh wait, it was Kansas.

Ohio's override was not about allowing concealed carry, it changes how you had to carry in a car and state preemption of local gun laws.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Kansas posted the reciprocal states and then they chaged AG's and the new one removed them until he has time to confirm the states.

Here is the email I got back in this regard:

11. Malum Prohibitum

So, they change with the elections, willy-nilly . . .

:roll:

12. Malum Prohibitum

GS1, he reviewed the list alright . . . :roll:

The new AG simply declared all nonresident licenses invalid, in plain contravention of the language of the statute. I do not know the status of recognition of resident licenses (Georgia's in particular).

13. Malum Prohibitum

14. Malum Prohibitum

This jackass put Hawaii on the list.

15. Malum Prohibitum

They don't have specific statutory authority to restrict reciprocity to resident permits only.

However, according to an attorney in the AG's office named C.J., they extrapolated that authority from their mandate to establish reciprocity with states that have similar requirements. Since Kansans need a permit from Kansas, everyone else must have a resident permit.

What the law states is:

So, the statute explicitly says that a license "issued by" a recognized state is valid in Kansas (except for a Kansas resident).

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Another fine example on why we carry.

18. Malum Prohibitum

More on the Manhattan restrictions. Does this sound familiar?

"Our philosophy was to identify certain areas as property that we own where there might be meetings or larger gatherings of people and those are the areas we want to make sure that someone's not bringing a concealed weapon," Manhattan Deputy City Manager Diane Stoddard said.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/5348516.html

Because we all know how those firearms license holders engage in mass murder all the time. Anytime there is a "gathering," really, well, if it wasn't for the good intentions of laws like this there would be lots of mass murders by firearms license holders. Good thing these politicians have saved us.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Well, the legislature passed a preemption law, but Governor Sebelius said she is going to veto it. Why? Well, for the children, of course.

She wants youth athletic events to be disarmed victim zones.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/7022027.html