Juvenile record.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Dan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan Active Member

Good morning everyone.
    I had questions about applying for a license. I was wondering if my juvenile record will be looked at if applying for my license. If it is looked at, I plead guilty to possession of marijuana when I was 17 and received 24 hours community service. I did read that any drug convictions voids me from receiving a license. My other question is if I have a permit from a different state (UT), would that be worth mentioning or would it help things move along?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

17 is not juvenile in Georgia.

3. Dan

Dan Active Member

:shock: I was not aware. So I guess I am out of luck.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Since you thought you were a juvenile, were you in "juvenile court" or adult court? Did this happen in Georgia? Have you run a criminal background check on yourself? You can do that, you know.

5. Dan

Dan Active Member

This was in Cobb County almost 6 years ago, I believe it was indeed adult court. I only thought it was juvenile because I was not read my rights when arrested. I never did go to court because my father had me represented as a lawyer. To explain the situation, my dad called the cops on me when he found the marijuana in the garage and I went to ADC.

I have not run a criminal background check on myself because I am currently in college in California, but might be moving to Georgia soon.

I appreciate all the feedback.

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

i know a guy who recieved a feloney back in the 70's for pot....he had something put on his record by hte judge (not sure what he called it)i asked him how he still was able to get his GFL and he showed me his GFL...he said he has had it for years and because what every the judge put on his record it excluded it but he still has a felony? (this was only a few weeks ago he was telling me this and showe me his current GFL).......anyother instance where the drug laws in the US are ridiculas and the war on drugs is a failure and a waste of tax dollars (this is my opinion but thats another story)

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

How does a felon get a gun, let alone a GFL?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is probably like the Florida law and license system that the New York Times and a few other news organizations have been griping about.

Here is the topic http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1772

Basically the judge takes your plea, gives you probation, and if you successfully complete that probation, your record is cleared.

The only way this works for Georgia (and the GFL's definition of drug conviction) is if that record is completely cleared and does not show up on any background checks.

9. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I mean the guy got caught with pot at 17......if he has had not other crimes etc.....i think its ridiculous to make it illegal for him to have a gun. this is coming from someone who has never even smoked pot in my entire life....its ridiculous.....just how were packing our prisons full of meth heads/and drug adicts and its going to cost GA about $100 million dollars over the next 5 years or so to support the current population of prison inmates.....put people who need to be in jail and other so want to F up and ruin their lives let them.....but not at the cost of my money.......i think you should only be banned from owning/carrying if you have been convicted of a felony violent crime assault etc.....not some guy who got caught at 17 with some pot thats ridiculous