Justice Anthony Kennedy announced today that he would retire from SCOTUS, effective July 31st

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tmoore912, Jun 27, 2018.

1. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

Cue liberal freak-out in 3, 2, 1...

2. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Your countdown was two digits too long.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

That's for sure. We'll be hearing about how Trump needs to put a liberal in to "rebalance" the court. Man, I really wish it had been Ginsberg or a couple of the other liberal justices. I know that Ginsberg wants to retire - she just doesn't want to do it under Trump (so much for no politics on the SCOTUS). I wonder what her thoughts will be when he wins a second term...

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

5. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

Now if Ginsberg would just slip on a banana peel...

6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Fantastic news. If his next choice is as good as his first we're moving well in the right direction! As for the libtards squealing - why should today be different?

8. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Trump White House says it will come from the list they created last year -

President Donald J. Trump’s Supreme Court List
    LAW & JUSTICE

Issued on: November 17, 2017
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  9. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Christmas in June!

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, this is BIG.
    Justice Kennedy was a moderate. I don't recall anything about his record on gun control, other than him being in the majority on both the HELLER and McDONALD decisions for handgun ownership and handgun carry rights. But he often sides with the liberals, and we need more conservative justices who respect the system of government that we were given in the form of the U.S. constitution and the body of law that was developed and respected for generations, STARTING WITH the generation of the Patriots who founded this nation, and their sons and grandsons who made up the first 50 years' worth of political leaders and high level judges.

Replacing a moderate with a conservative is good.

I'd even like to see that moderate replaced with a uniformly small-government libertarian, and I'd accept the risks inherent in giving people (especially modern American people, selfish, faithless, and whose morals are based on pop culture) too much freedom in order to cut back the power of government several notches, back to a level envisioned by the Framers.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Maybe Ginsberg and Breyer could leave together. :righton:

This isn't BIG. It's HUGE. As long as Trump chooses wisely.

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

An interesting view from the other side (CNN).

Nemo

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics/john-roberts-long-game-supreme-court/index.html

14. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

She still has thoughts? https://www.yahoo.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-falls-asleep-during-state-of-the-union-132429952.html

15. herron

herron Member

Who from Trumps list is the worst for 2nd amendment rights?

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

17. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Kavanaugh, but it will be a meaner and nastier fight with him than it is already going to be with whoever gets nominated.

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant whoever Trump eventually nominates. The Senate Dems don't have the power to stop it unless a bunch of RINO turncoats pop out of the woodwork.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ave-little-chance-to-delay-trump-s-court-pick

19. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

My bet is he noms one of the ladies on his list.
    He added one to the list recently.

The lady senators' votes, Alaska and Maine, need to be shored up.

McCain could retire (with the AZ gov appointing a replacement) and help the vote as well.