Just started OCing, heres what happened so far...

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by gizmo5, Jul 8, 2007.

1. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

First I go and pick up my friend to go to wal-mart to pick up a few things and I needed a new belt. We took our time and slowly walked around getting what we needed. One guy came walking towards my immediate right and stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes went wide and stared at my gun.
    him: "Are you a cop?" he asked.
    me: "Nope"
    him: he just wonders for a bit and all while staring at my gun "Ohh, you must have a license or something, huh?"
    me: "yeah, anyone can carry a gun in GA as long as they go through the process and pass the background check. You should look into it for yourself"
    him: He then walked away with a have a nice day nod and a smile.

SECOND...
    Me and my friend leave Walmart and decide to go to Sonic for some grub. A LEO is ALWAYS there for some reason watching everyone. We get out of my truck and proceed to sit down and order. The LEO looked directly at my gun and didnt do a thing. (By the way Im 22, clean cut, dress like a human being, and carry myself with a good amount of respect. 8) )NE ways right before we order, a girl comes out and informs everyone that they are closing. We leave and decide to go to steak and shake since its one of the only places open a midnight'ish. We walk in an instantly all eyes on me. Some whispering starts going on and people seem uncomfortable. I immediately play the "say nice to everyone I dont know game" and everyone starts to go back to normal. All in all, a good first day.

Second day/today....

I go to the Warner Robins Mall looking for some good looking polo shirts since mine are showing some age. I go from sears to JCpenny to Belk. By the time I reached Belk a security guy walks up to me...

him: "Sir, are you a police officer?"
    me: "No sir, I am not"
    him: "this mall only allows police and sheriff deputy's to carry a gun"
    me: "Dont worry, I have a GFL, and Im also Military."
    him: "are you an MP in the military"
    me: "nope"
    him: "I dont make the rules, the mall manager said you cant carry that gun here unless your a cop. Im just doin my job man"
    me: "your mall manager is incorrect. Any person in GA can carry a firearm if they obtain a license to do so. Its their right. And as for me, I have that license, AND Im military. And as far as GA law goes I am afforded the same privileges as a cop since I am in the armed forces. The second amendment is very clear on this subject. Can I speak with this manager"
    him: "you can call and make an appointment i think."
    me: "OK, I'll do that. Thank you for doing your job. I'll go ahead and leave so you dont get into any trouble"

That was that and I left at the closest exit in belk even though my truck was WAY on the other side of the mall. All in all I will be following up on the malls manager that needs to be informed about the peoples right to bear arms. I will do so in a professional manner as I understand I am representing all individuals who carry a firearm when confronting a situation such as this.

That is all... Proceed with your normal activities...

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Good work, sounds like you handled the mall situation very well. Nice to see good people being respectful when confronted.

And as others have stated time and again, you really have to try and be more friendly to put people at ease. Lots of smiling and lots of small talk...

3. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Great job Gizmo! Educating those who don't know is one of the easiest ways to change the perception.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The mall can ask you to leave and you must comply. If you do not you can be arrested for trespassing. It does not matter if you have a GFL, if you are in the military, or even if you are an off-duty cop. If asked to leave a business you should leave immediately.

Other than that, good job!

5. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

hey

Thanks for the comments guys. I was going to leave soon enough. I just wanted to put a little bit of knowledge in this guys head. Hey, maybe he will go home and google up GA gun laws and talk to his manager himself. :)

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: hey

I hope so.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Re: hey

:righton:

8. merlock

merlock New Member

Good job, Gizmo!

I haven't been to the Galleria mall yet...you've been a guinea pig of sorts.

I'll be making a phone call and writing a letter to mall management as well.

Hmmm...maybe we ought to plan an OC outing here in Mid Ga...like our pals in the ATL area 8)

9. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

yes!

Ready when you are. Just tell me when. I have a friend in the AF here who is weary to carry. I try to get him to even if its just to inform the public. He hasnt yet. :roll: I want us to OC together in WR.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Plus one

11. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Good job on your educating. :righton:

I do feel the need to point out that even if the manager is aware of the laws pertaining to firearms it is still the malls right to keep anyone other than police from carrying.

They could be fearing that the sheeple may go to another mall where they don't see people packing.

I don't agree with their logic but it is still the owners perogative.

That said, in that mall concealed is concealed. :D

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But they aren't going to see people carrying if these places keep the rules. It's a lose-lose situation, you know?

13. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

exactly

Its like giving up on the 2nd. I think we should make signs that say "All legally armed Citizens, LEO's, and Military allowed" And then have a generic gun silhouette with a green circle around it. We should ask places that allow guns to post them up. This would help out in a MAJOR way by letting the public see it on a sign rather than on a hip. The hip scares them, the sign seems legit to most and they will accept it more. Maybe even add in federal background checks, zero felon's, or something to the nature of upstanding people of AMERICA. Anyone here good a photo shop and designing? WE NEED A SIGN MADE!!!!!!!!

14. tace

tace New Member

Actually, Gizmo gives me a good idea about GPDO logo, like the whole green sign thing.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You are allowed a "reasonable time" to leave, but that does not apply if you "refuse."

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Better hurry. We are not getting a lot of entries.

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

MP,
    He said GPDO not GCO. Last I looked GPDO wasn't looking to change logos....

18. tace

tace New Member

Well, I'll see if I can make one when I get home tonight and you guys can use it for whichever you want. I won't be taking hardly any of the credit cause my Photoshop skills are bad and the idea itself comes from gizmo