Just so I'm clear ...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by FireStar, Oct 21, 2007.

1. FireStar

FireStar Guest

First, I do understand what a GFL grants: right to carry at all, plus right to carry concealed.

But I have also seen a lot of comments, when someone receives their GFL, that say congratulations on being given the partial right to self-protection, or being able to partially exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. I'm pretty sure this is a reference to GA's restrictive laws. Can someone confirm?

Also, there are a lot of comments that state a GFL is not a CCW. If it grants the right to carry concealed, why is it not a CCW?

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Congratulating someone on being able to partially exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right is a joke. The point is that I (and many of us) feel that we shouldn't need permission from anyone to carry.

It's not a CCW because it also gives you the right to carry openly. It's also not called a CCW by the state; it's called a GFL.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You beat me to it.

4. Wiley

Wiley Guest

In Georgia to carry a firearm at all (other than on ones property of place of business) requires a GFL. And, a GFL does not allow the carrying or concealment of other weapons (there is no permit to allow that).

In contrast, in Virginia, Ohio and other states, open carry of a firearm is legal without a permit. But, to conceal a weapon (not necessarily just a firearm*) requires a permit to conceal.

And in Florida open carry of a firearm is illegal but with a permit one can conceal a firearm (or other weapon*).

* Not competely sure of that.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It's a little more accurate to say that the GFL grants you some ridiculously restrictive exemptions from prosecution for exercising your natural/God-given right to self defense.

It doesn't not only allow concealed carry. The idea is the same, but the semantics are different. Really, a GFL can be called a CCW, CCP, CHL, CWP, or whatever the hell you want to call it. We'll understand what you mean. However, new members from other states might get confused with what their (old) state called their license and mix up the laws and allowances granted by said license. So we are a little anal in the interest of clarity.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon?

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

California, Arizona, and Florida (and I'm sure other states) call their license a CCW.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

You will also hear in the media sometimes that someone was "charged with CCW", meaning Carrying a Concealed Weapon.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Still doesn't make sense...

10. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I don't think that you can OC in those states and that's why it's a CCW.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know that part...I'm talking how does W = license? Conceal carry weapon isn't a very logical thing to name a permit.

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Yea, wonder how they come up with it...CCL would make more sense.