Just moved to Marietta

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by SergeK, Apr 9, 2017.

1. SergeK

SergeK New Member

Hey Fellas,

Just moved here from South Florida where I worked at Only The Best Firearms for a few years

Ill be looking to get back into long range shooting in the next few months as well as some IDPA style matches. Big fan of CZs, AKs, and FALs. Waiting for a few NFA items to still transfer to my address in Florida, which I will then have transferred here.

Question.

I have a GA Drivers License, FL Drviers licence and FL CWP. Can I carry here? I know the FL CWP has reciprocity, but im not sure how that plays in with me being a resident in GA AND in FL.

2. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

Welcome to GPDO! Please also take a look at Georgiacarry.org
    Georgia's premier second amendment lobbying group.

I'm no expert, but to the best of my knowledge, you should only
    maintain one drivers license (that of your primary residence), and
    your primary firearms carry license (in Ga. it's a "weapons license)
    should be from the same state, although you can maintain other
    non resident firearms licenses. A Florida non resident license adds
    reciprocity for several states.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Welcome aboard. We're in the middle of the legislative season, and several bills are awaiting signature. A couple of the local attorneys here will be able to tell you if your GA DL makes your FL CWP "expired" or irrelevant.

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Welcome to Georgia, from just down the road in East Cobb.

Current law indicates that once someone becomes a Georgia resident, they cannot then carry on the previous state carry permit.

See this law, 16-11-126, from the Official Code of Georgia, and a quoted key paragraph:

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

I am not a lawyer, so please do investigate yourself and read the laws further. www.georgiacarry.org is an excellent source for the laws.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

How did you get a Ga drivers license and still have a FL drivers license? When I made the switch from FL to Ga I had to let the license people keep my FL one.

Nemo

6. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I was thinkin' the same thing.

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Welcome from someone who visited Vito's shop occasionally to drool over the neat stuff I couldn't afford. :lol:

8. moe mensale

How did you manage to have two different DLs? GA and FL are both Real ID Act compliant and that would be a violation.

9. SergeK

SergeK New Member

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

For various reasons i had to hold on to a Florida license for a few more months as my move to georgia was really last minute and unforseen. So right before i moved i applied for a replacement drivers license at my parents address.

That being said i will heed your advice and not carry until i get a ga permit.ill try to leave work early today and get it done.

10. SergeK

SergeK New Member

More than likeley we have met

11. moe mensale

Maybe. His store was still on Cypress Road at the time. I only visited the new store on Sample Road once right after he opened it.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Even without reciprocity, you can carry at home, on your own lands, at your place of business, and in your car or anybody else's car (if they don't object) without a carry license.

13. SergeK

SergeK New Member

Just realized you're Moe from FSN.

14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Some around here might argue he is Moe from Larry and Curly fame. I don't know either way, but thats what I hear.

Nemo

15. moe mensale

People would kill for that information. Just saying. :rotfl: