Just curious....

Discussion in 'Women with Firearms' started by Melissa5, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

How many of you regularly wear a hat when you go to the range and what is your favorite hat to wear?

Mine is a navy blue baseball hat with a white Adidas logo on the front. I was especially glad that I wore it today because brass landed right on top of my head and stayed there until I moved it. Wonder if those casings get hot enough to burn hair?

Even though I put this in "Women with Firearms", everyone is welcome to jump in.

2. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I wear a white UGA hat. When I was in the Marine Corps, we were in a firefight, and my buddy was beside me engaging. Well a piece of hot brass went into my flak jacket and burned the crapola out of me. I still have the scar :)

3. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

But women don't serve in combat roles!

4. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Silly Panda! :neener: Do you wear a hat or not?

5. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Well no but I'm not a lady.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd like to wear a hat to keep flying brass out of my face.
    But sometimes shooting rifles with a hat on traps moist air next to my face and fogs up my glasses.
    I think most shooting ranges have a defective design by having a hard -surface wall (plastic, metal, wood, concrete) next to you.
    That hard surface is almost guaranteed to bounce the brass back at you after it hits the wall.
    What shooting ranges need is a curtain or draped cloth of some kind, hanging in the air an inch or so away from that wall.
    The cloth will absorb the energy of the empty case, and it will fall straight to the floor. No bouncing back at you.

7. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I normally wear a ball cap when shooting. It also works well to shade my eyes if lights are funky or I am shooting outside.

8. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

No, but are you a female? LOL Just kidding!

9. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

That's a really good idea. :righton:

10. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

Maybe a good idea for some entrepreneurial ladies ( since this is the women with firearm section) to make some tacti-cool range curtains and flog them to the local ranges. It might me nice to dress up those dreary ranges :D

As for the hat , indoors only if its a bad hair day, outdoors sometimes ( no I am not a female but I do have bad hair days sometimes)

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I wear a ballcap to help keep brass out of that space between my face and the glasses. For times where the glasses keep all the brass out, they still have interesting ways of landing perfectly on the frame and leaning against skin.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I always wear a hat of some sort at the range. I can't say what hat, as I have a bunch.

If you want the range to yourself wear a black one with the letters 'ATF' on the front.

13. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Ballcap, worn bill backwards, while on Skeet field; bill forward while on Trap field, hunting, or on gun range.

Presently a Georgia Tech cap in Advantage Wetlands camo pattern. Has also been navy blue Purina cap, or Orvis waxed canvas Uplander hat in the rain.

14. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I always wear a hat when shooting these days. No paticular hat, because I have many. Several years ago I had a spent casing bounce back and hit me on the head and left a pretty bad burn. Ever since then I were a hat when shooting.

15. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Of course I wear a hat at the range. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

The GF usually doesn't though.

[​IMG]

16. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Nice hat, Jmark!

17. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I've learned the hard way that a hat, to paraphrase Martha Stewart "...is a good thing."

18. DocMindbender

DocMindbender New Member

I wear a ball cap at the range ever since I took hot brass just under my eye after it fell right through the space between my glasses and my eyebrow -- burned me pretty good and was super close to my actual eyeball. It came over the divider wall and rained hot fire upon me. It freaked me out a bit, so now I either wear glasses with a pad on the brow (no space) or my regular glasses and a hat.

19. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Thanks! :mrgreen:

20. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where can you get one of those?