Just an FYI

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Schweisshund, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Bargain Barn is closing at the end of May.

20190415_155107.jpg

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Notice if they had any outboard motors or fishing kayaks?

3. Schweisshund

Not sure about motors. They had one kayak left.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't get it.
    Why are they closing?
    They moved to their new location 10 years ago, with excellent visibility off Hwy 515 (what I-575 becomes that far north).
    They had a clean, nice, inviting store.
    Decent prices. No rip-offs.
    The Jasper area is growing by leaps and bounds with new homes being built, new subdivisions, etc. There has to be more potential customers living within a 15-mile radius.
    Why can't they be successful selling outdoors equipment?
    Does EVERYBODY buy EVERYTHING only from WalMart???

5. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

They have far from decent prices, especially on firearms. They're not losing to Walmart, they're losing to the internet. Every time I've been in there over the last few years there's always been more employees than customers and I've always left without spending money.

6. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Here in the Albany/Leesburg area we have lost 3 gun stores in the past couple of years. The internet is driving brick and mortar stores out of business.

Not to mention the closing of Sears in Albany Mall. The entire Mall may be closed in 3 years.

I have only been in that Jasper store once and enjoyed the visit. Their guns were a little high, but I did buy some ammo that was on sale.

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Actually it's not the internet closing the stores. It the lack of business. Even firearm distributors are suffering and just barely surviving. Firearm sales are in a massive slump and more dealers are going to fail is people don't start buying firearms. So if you are just putting off purchasing that new pistol stop waiting and go get it.

8. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

Their customer service sucks, their firearm prices suck, the crap they carry sucks....once they moved to 515 they just plain sucked. I am really surprised it took this long.

a_springfield likes this.
  9. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

They had decent gun prices before it burnt down.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/business/firearms-industry-gun-sales.html

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

And yet NICS background checks are at all time highs. What's driving the numbers? Sales? Carry license checks?

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

2012 - 19.6 million
    2013 - 21.1 million
    2014 - 21.0 million
    2015 - 23.1 million
    2016 - 27.6 million
    2017 - 25.2 million
    2018 - 26.2 million
    2019 - 27.4 million (est run rate)

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The driving number is actual NEW firearm sales. Almost 20% of the current checks do not end up in a sale. More people are selling guns to retailers that purchase used firearms than are walking in to buy them. 60% of the sales in those stores are for the used firearms the retailer purchased. Gun pawns make up a good portion of the guns held by retailers that deal in gun pawns. When a pawned gun is retrieved the owner fills out a 4473 to get his gun back. This also results in a NICS check and is not an actual gun sale since it was just being picked up by it's owner. Every firearm license in the country is ran through the NICS and also does not equate to a sale. Word is the firearm carry license applications are at an all time high and not just here in GA. Less than 20% of sales are to an exempt license holder.

13. Schweisshund

I asked why, while I was there, and was told the owners decided to retire.

14. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

That building would make for a nice brewery. :-k:cheers:

Schweisshund likes this.