Jury Dings Manufacturer of .454. Casull

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 4, 2007.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

This was not a 2A or rights case, just a good ol' fashion products liability matter. I certainly would not own a revolver with no safety or transfer bar. Your basic Taurus, etc. will all have transfer bars. Is that a defect? Well, that's for the jury, I suppose.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Not if you knew it had no transfer bar, knew what that meant, and carried it anyway.

People who know that usually keep the chamber under the hammer empty or carry in a holster that straps the hammer down so that kind of thing does not happen.

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

The dude took a .454 in the leg. :eek: :shock:

But seriously, lack of a transfer bar is not a design defect. That's like saying a Series 70 1911 is defective becasue it lacks the triggere safety. Gah, this is why I didn't take products liability.

4. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Pffft, I know of one that was bigger. 8)

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Someone take a .500 S&W in the leg? Hopefully nothing larger, I can't imagine the damage that would result from one of the African dangerous game calibers.

4-bore, in the leg :shock:

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Bingo, as far as I'm concerned. To carry a loaded firearm on your person whose operational characteristics you do not thoroughly understand is stupid, IMHO. The gun, however, is not defective.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Malum Prohibitum

10. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

It's only defective if features advertised don't perform as planned/manufactured. If I buy a car without air bags, and the manufacture informs me of this in the manual, I can't sue them if I get into a wreck and hurt myself because the non-existent airbags didn't deploy.

11. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Ahhhh, but you can! Happens all the time.

12. maddog

maddog New Member

I still think the one that tops them all is the woman that won a lawsuit against McD's for getting burned when she spilled her coffee in her lap ... duh, most people I know would expect the coffee to be hot