Judge upholds ban on guns in places of worship

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by psrumors, Jan 25, 2011.

1. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/judge-upholds-b ... 15301.html

2. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

So basically they're asking for proof of need?

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

5. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

"Royal wrote worshipers were free to leave their guns in the car or they could secure or temporarily surrender their weapons with security or management at door as they go inside to worship."

so, when management tells me to "secure" it in my holster on my hip under my shirt or in the holster in my boot I will do exactly that.
    what's the difference between "secure" or "temporarily surrender?"

I believe the law says to "explicitly follow the directions of the management for securing or storing", doesn't it?

6. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I'm amazed. The law makes no provision for permission, like it does for bars, and yet he hung his entire reasoning on getting permission from the church management.

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I am not terribly surprised. Not happy but not surprised. :cantsay:

8. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

I find it interesting that the state cannot tell BrandsMart that they have to allow
    citizens to carry in accordance with state law but CAN tell the church that it MAY NOT
    allow citizens to carry. This to me is a case of the state stepping on it's own weewee
    trying to differentiate between two different private properties.

Meh.... what do I know... I ain't no judge... :lol:

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

They may have won this fight, but the battle is not over.

10. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Im with Ber950. It doesnt surprise me they denied it.
    They say that carrying a firearm isnt necessary to practice religion yet because of our religion we are being targeted by Bin laden and thats why we took up arms to defend from them :screwy:

11. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!

12. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:righton: Nowhere near.

13. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Below is a provision, and it is what he hung his reasoning on. This is actually an interesting precedent, as it allows any of the prohibited places on 16-11-127 to allow carry through security or management granting permission (not that government buildings, jails, or courthouses are likely to do so).

Code:
    To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun;

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

If there were a provision for permitting carry, in that code, we wouldn't have much trouble with it.

15. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I would like to read his opinion on how liberally he interprets "storing" or "securing".

16. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Looks like a simple, "Be sure to secure that thing in your holster", from the pastor would be sufficient, but I guess it's not that simple.

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So the Court says there is no "need" for a gun at a place of worship?
    That means there is no "need" to wear black shoes either.
    So the State could ban wearing black wing-tip shoes to church, so long as they allowed sneakers and loafers and other types of footwear?
    The State could pass a law specifically banning opera glasses in church, even though opera glasses are legal everywhere else, since nobody "needs" opera glasses for their religion (if your vision is bad, just sit closer!)

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Well if you're DEAD because someone decided to come in and arm rob the POW, wouldn't that make it kind of hard to practice your religion if you're dead?

How about if it were a terrorist who was hell bent on killing people from that religion?

How about if it were just some crazy nutjob that wanted to get a bunch of people unarmed so that he could get his kill number as high as possible, while knowing that everyone had to be disarmed there by law?

Do you really need to show PROOF that you need a gun in a church?

Just type, Church shootings, into Google and you've got all the PROOF that you need. Man, these judges need a swift kick right to the junk sometimes. Nothing more than tyrants sitting on a bench.

19. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

Kinda makes you wonder how they get away with this nonsense :screwy: I guess it is okay for the state to determine what a business can allow and what they can't. We are losing more and more of our liberties every day. :x :x :x

20. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

If we're only allowed to take things into church that are necessary to practice religion I'd better start leaving my coloring book in the car