Judge endorsements?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by frankr, Oct 27, 2010.

1. frankr

frankr Active Member

Does anyone have a good resource for choosing among the judge candidates. Who is most likely to help strike down some bad laws?

2. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

Here are a couple that GCO endorsed -
    http://www.georgiacarry.org/

3. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

Gunter prosecuted me (unsuccessfully) on a gun-related charge, and refused to return my pistol after I was acquitted.

I eventually got my gun back several months later after my lawyer threatened to sue the county.

I recommend that no one vote for Stan Gunter.

4. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

(edit) I see that he is still DA.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Gun related covers a lot of ground. Acquited means that there was a trial and a verdict. Care to tell us more? Is this a situation in which another prosecutor would have not prosecuted, and, if so, why? As it is, your post tells us nothing much, but I am sure plenty of us would be interested in hearing more, if you care to tell it.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

+1 inquiring minds want to know.

7. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

Long story short, I was charged with aggravated assault due to a domestic incident involving a gun. The cops had probable cause to arrest me, so I don't fault them. I spent a few days in jail. I don't fault Gunter and the DA's office for prosecuting either. Later, the charge was reduced to simple assault (It's possible that Gunter may even have had something to do with that).

The problem was after the trial in which I was acquitted, the DA's office refused to return my gun, because (according to what they told my lawyer) "it was used in a crime". Later, the story was that they couldn't find it. My lawyer went back and forth with the DA's office and the cops for months. When my lawyer threatened to sue, magically the gun appeared within a few hours.

Luckily, I moved away from Lumpkin County. :|

8. Malum Prohibitum

Ok, thanks for filling in the details.

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

MP, aren't you going through something similar, not the same type of case but refusal to return weapons?

10. Malum Prohibitum

Correct, but it would require a change in federal law to get mine back any earlier at this point. I have exhausted all other options.

It is on my "to do" list.

11. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

One last thing: I have the original documents to back up everything I've said. :twisted: