Judge: Baker may deny wedding cake to same sex couple

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Wegahe, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

You either throw out the Civil Rights Act as unconstitutional or they must bake the cake.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

They're not refusing to sell the couple a cake, they're refusing to perform a voluntary act (creation of an artistic item) because the believe their religion forbids them to do so.

As silly as it may be, they shouldn't be required to accept an artistic commission they don't want to accept.

Wheedle likes this.
  3. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I'll take what's behind door number 1 Bob.

4. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I guess the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional as far as generic creations, accommodations and similar. But those things that require personal knowledge, skills and abilities along with creativity and beliefs are not within the purview of it.

Nemo

6. AtlPhilip

No person who has ever built a business would refer to their creation as "generic". Nor would that say "I didn't build that". Such ignorance and audacity requires a lifetime in government.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Civil Rights Act has nothing to do with this case. It was not in issue.

:shakehead:

Aloha8, TimBob and AtlPhilip like this.
  8. Nemo

9. Nemo

I am not referring to a business. I refer to a production of that business.

A specifically commissioned cake for a wedding would not be generic. But the dozens of cookies, pies and cakes made day after day can easily be considered generic.

The wedding cakes are artistic creations not subject to Civil Rights Act. Yet sales of the generic bakings would be. As in I won't and am not required make your Wedding Cake but I must and am required by law to sell you a dozen of my chocolate chip cookies despite my rejection of your whatever objectionable to me status.

Nemo

10. AtlPhilip

As to the first, I stand by my statement. There is nothing generic about the product of a business. It is the result of blood, sweat, and tears.

As to the second, two thoughts:

The protected classes are few and explicitly listed. The descriptive "whatever objectionable to me status" does not accurately describe the legislation.

My business, my rules. I will shut my doors and burn the building before I work for another against my will.

11. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Call me crazy, but I believe that as a private citizen or a privately held company you should have the right to refuse to provide goods or services to anyone for whatever reason you see fit. Publicly traded companies, in my opinion, are a slightly different circumstance. Let people be themselves, and let the market sort out the douche-nozzles.

Wegahe likes this.
  12. AtlPhilip

I agree, but I see zero difference. Publicly traded companies are still owned by a collection of private parties.

13. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

How does this not involve familial status?

14. AtlPhilip

15. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Once again, it comes down to this: are those who practice homosexual acts to be considered a special group?

Think carefully about this. If one's sexual behavior can get one favor over the general public we no longer have equality in this nation.

16. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

You are quite right about that.

The sodomites would say they practice those things because it emanates from who they are. In other words, they can't help but do it.

They put that on the same level as those who can't change the color of their skin.

Those who have been discriminated against because of their race should be up in arms over the diminishment of their struggle by the "Hey, I'm special because of my queer sexual appetite" snowflakes.

TimBob likes this.
  17. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

18. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Judge said you have to sell one off the shelf not custom make them. Walmart and dicks don't make guns

Schweisshund likes this.