Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I decided to bite the proverbial bullet and convert my FN PS90 to an SBR. The barrel and adaptor have arrived and once I played with them both a few times are sitting in a remote location (no 'constructive possession' for me, tyvm).

Now I have two problems...
First...
A. Go with a eFile Form 1 (I believe) which I've heard is taking around 1-2 months at most, or,
B. Get a trust (which I'm sure I can get one of our legal eagles on here to help out with for their usual and accepted fee.
Second...
I've heard that with common hand tools, it's not necessary to chop off the barrel shroud. In fact, it's supposed to be possible to just use a Dremel rotary tool or a drill press + a #43 drill bit to remove the pin. Oh, and a 'slimmed down' 15 mm wrench.

Anyone else done this already and have advice?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Since ATF rule 41F Put the same burdens of registration fingerprinting and photographs and trustees as they did original sole owners of NFA weapons, the only real advantage of an NFA trust today is joint possession basically the equivalent of shared ownership between multiple people who may possess the gun independently of the others.

If you want to go that route I'll give you a special price, because we've gone out shooting before, you and I. I'm glad I got to fire that 5.7 mm bullpup of yours.

Not to mention our highly scientific testing of the lethality of flechette darts fired out of 12 gauge shotguns!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Not to mention our highly scientific testing of the lethality of flechette darts fired out of 12 gauge shotguns!
I'm curious how did that work out? Had some experience with at one time.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
First...
A. Go with a eFile Form 1 (I believe) which I've heard is taking around 1-2 months at most, or,
B. Get a trust (which I'm sure I can get one of our legal eagles on here to help out with for their usual and accepted fee.​

You can eFile your Form 1 for either an individual or a trust. The trust's responsible persons are handled no differently than an individual now. Gunsmoker explained the primary reason for still using a trust.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
The items in a trust avoid probate.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Isn't one of the advantages of a revocable trust the fact that you, as the grantor, can change it at will?

So why not just add your trustees after the form has been processed. The ATF doesn't (and probably cannot) require you to send in revisions.

Keep in mind that I'm mot recommending anyone do this, I'm just tossing out ideas for discussion.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
As far as I know the trust on file with the ATF must match the controlling trust kept at home. I'm not sure if you are required to submit changes to the ATF but I doubt it would be a good idea not to.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I don't have any sbr's or automatic weapons so do I need a trust for my collection?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I don't have any sbr's or automatic weapons so do I need a trust for my collection?
Short answer, no you don't need a trust.

However, if you have several heirs and you want them to have things not going through probate, it will make it easier. Especially if they don't get along.

Also, not having the guns go through probate might be desirable in the future political climate, as that could end up being a sort of defacto registration of previously unregistered guns. (This assumes that registration becomes mandatory and you wish not to comply)

But for the most part, it's not needed.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,140 Posts
No you don't need the trust. Just give them to me and I will take care of getting them where you want.

Nemo

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
I just want to say welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No you don't need the trust. Just give them to me and I will take care of getting them where you want.

Nemo
Said in jest,but I believe you would.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
You can put anything into a trust or trusts. Then it all avoids public scrutiny upon your death.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Isn't one of the advantages of a revocable trust the fact that you, as the grantor, can change it at will?

So why not just add your trustees after the form has been processed. The ATF doesn't (and probably cannot) require you to send in revisions.
You can add or delete trustees anytime you want. But if you're submitting an NFA application it's best to wait until you've been approved to make any changes.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
As far as I know the trust on file with the ATF must match the controlling trust kept at home. I'm not sure if you are required to submit changes to the ATF but I doubt it would be a good idea not to.
Trusts are governed by state, not federal, rules. ATF has no say in what your trust says as long as it's been legally set up in your state of residence. Your current trust may not match previous trusts that were submitted for NFA approval since you can change it anytime. You're not required to submit any trust changes to ATF.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
...Your current trust may not match previous trusts that were submitted for NFA approval since you can change it anytime. You're not required to submit any trust changes to ATF.
Yeah, that's true for now.
Up until ATF promulgates a new rule.

They already require you to notify them when you change your address.

And when you permanently change the gun's caliber, barrel length, OAL, or other specs that are now different from what you submitted on your original Form 1 or Form 4.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts