John's Mountain outdoor range

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by willy.45, Feb 10, 2007.

1. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

Has anyone been there lately? I was wanting to know if it is open on Sundays now and if so, the hours of operation. Thanks for any help.

2. willy.45

willy.45 New Member

Never mind, website says closed Sundays :( I guess the church nearby. Thanks anyway

3. pachary

pachary New Member

Willy,

I go to Adairsville Sporting Range. 12 lanes of 25yd Handgun, 2 100yd Rifle lane all with auto target retrieval system. 1 station 5 shot sgotgun range, and 3-d archery. Give Steve a call he is resonably priced and you don't have to wonder about who is out there at John's Mountain.

770-608-4848

Paul

4. dave_in_ga

dave_in_ga New Member

Last time I went to John's Mtn, the place was trashed. I didn't like walking 100 yards from the car to the line.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Not impressive

I have been a couple of times over the last 2 months. Nothing is enforced - rules not obeyed or ignored. It is trashed out. People show up not knowing how to safely shoot - point firearm inside, down at concrete, people hip shooting double barrel shot guns from well with inside the shooting line. I packed up my stuff and left. If anyone goes there - look up and see how many holes have been blowed into the overhang/roof of the shelter. It has really gotten out of hand there. And yes, you have to lug all of your gear a good distance - only to find that it so over crowded you'll have to wait hours just to shoot. jmo

6. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

The trip prior to last time I was there I was on the 2nd to last table to the left on the 100 yrd rifle range. A group of Russians, the man, his mail order bride that spoke no english and his 2 teenage kids were firing SKSs, Mosins, to AK47 going down the line of every Russian made weapon he had. I thought was actually kind of cool until he let his kids go at it withthe SKSs. The Dad was saying how his grandpa used it (Mosin I assumed) in the revolution, which I figured was the Bolshevik revolution that ousted the Czar and created the communist Soviet Union, WTF? 2 shells came back to back twanged off of my Rem700. I put it up, I was only sighting it in anyway. That's when I pulled out my AR! :wink:
    Oh, no joke, I got hit with RICE in the face (safety glasses on!) from when the youngest kid shot thru the bag rest with the SKS, that's when I finally packed my stuff and left.

But me and a buddy of mine went up there early on the 4th of July and when the 2 other guys left and had the range to ourselves... we had a blast! 12 guns beween us. No better way to celebrate the 4th!

Sorry long post but was a crazy experience, haven't been back since.

7. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Is this the range up in Resaca?

My wife is Russian. 8) Not a mail-order though...

She's also a better shot than many guys I know. :shock:

8. Herbie

Herbie New Member

What web-site is this? I don't see that anywhere.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

DNR website, the page after the range rules page. Wildlife Management Area Gun Ranges

If you ever want to get back to it, I have it listed on the gun links page.

10. Saiga-12

Saiga-12 New Member

Re: Not impressive

Sadly, I have to report similar range-fools.

No less than three times I've had folks start wandering down range as I'm squeezing off my next shot. Last time was some teen (16ish?) shooting with his father. I tell the kid to get back behind the firing line till we clear the line. I then walked over to the father and asked him why he didn't love his son.

Time before that some red-neck starts pointing his rifle parellel with the firing line as he's fiddling w/ the lever. I had shouted over "You! Point that thing down range now!"

11. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Yeah, that's the same range I go to.

I have *never* had these problems there. Guess we were just lucky.

Last time I was there, was with my wife, who is Russian, her 5 year old, and two of our friends (males, early 20's).

Barrel to one of the rifles got so hot, it melted a hole in the nylon "sandbag" I had filled with dry rice to use as a prop. Rice went everywhere. :shock:

Oooops.

Made me wonder about the post above, but I'm not Russian (my wife is). 8)

12. blind_shake

NO WAY WAS THAT YOU!!!??? I think I still have rice marks on my face from that. Melted or not about 3 rounds down range before anybody noticed I was getting sprayed with rice and hot brassand I didn't get a single apology or even a look see. I don't get confrontational especailly at the gun range in the middle of the woods so I just moved down range but you had to have seen the brass fly off my rifle a couple of times in less than 2 seconds. Everyone around me noticed and and gave me that sympathetic look . To each his own in my book, I didn't like it so I moved. I'm not a complainer.
    I apologize for anything I said but that pissed me off. I'll be up there early Saturday morning, if you want to come shoot I will extend my hand and maybe we can shoot together. Then you can tell me about what revolution you were discussing and the russian weapons you had. I was actually going to approach you because I heard your wife talking and saw the Mosins and I thought it was interesting...until the brass started flying!!! :lol:

As far as your wife goes, she was the best shot out of all of you guys there and I was impressed. I heard Russian children learn to break down an AK and put it together before they learn to read.

13. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Well, that's the thing...there wasn't anybody beside us. We were on the far left end, and the table to the right of us was empty...so we used it too. I think the next one was empty as well. One after that had a guy with a Mosin, I think.

I don't recall talking to anybody about the Revolution though, and I am certainly not Russian.

If that was us, I apologize. No, I didn't notice any brass being flung onto someone.

We had my Romanian M44 Mosin, a Yugo SKS, my HK91 clone, as well as my 1911 and Makarov. I don't own an AK...yet. Hope to someday.

Here's a photo of me:

[​IMG]

If that was us...I heartily apologize...I honestly didn't notice anybody being bothered by any of it. :oops:

And...my wife isn't "mail-order". She's the niece of a Russian guy I used to work with. He introduced us. And, she speaks very decent English. :?:

14. blind_shake

Ya it was me. Maybe you didn't notice me because I was in my camo and guilli suit :lol: , but I was next to you ducking and weaving. IT's all good.

15. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Dude...I am so sorry. Wish you would have said something. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was concentrating on teaching the young guys how to shoot w/o being dicks, and we ended up being dicks. :shock:

40 lashes with a wet carp...that's what I deserve.... :(

16. blind_shake

Ah well I apologize for calling your wife a mail order. Like I said I will be up there in the morning if you want to shoot. I'm all about forgive and forget and making new friends. At least if you do come up when you start shooting I can stand behind you guys. :lol:

17. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

While I'd love to...I can't. :(

I work nights, and must work tonight, and tomorrow night. Which means, I'll be sleeping during the day.

Is why we were there on a Monday. Is one of my days off, so I didn't have to sleep then. 8)

But, if you see us there again, smack me in the back of the head and then I'll let ya shoot whatever we brought. :lol:

Least I can do...!

Again...I *very* much apologize. I'm ashamed I never noticed... :oops: :oops: :oops:

18. blind_shake

I just bought a CETME that I have to figure out what all needs to be done on it. If you have an HK91 clone maybe you know something about the CETME. I'll will be bringing it up to the range the next few times along with my RRA M4 and REM700 SPS and a few pistols here and there..

19. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Yeah, the CETME and HK91 are very similar.

Great rifles. Hope you enjoy it. 8)