Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
link
So Baker, 28, pulled out a .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun and fatally shot 18-year-old Carlos Musteliel multiple times in the chest. He called 911 and remained on the scene until deputies arrived.
Musteliel's unidentified 16-year-old companion was unharmed. He ran and hid his sweat shirt in a nearby back yard, he told deputies. He returned later and was questioned by deputies.
Florida law formerly gave people the right to protect themselves from deadly force inside their homes, but in 2005 the Legislature extended the law to just about anywhere you "reasonably believe" using a weapon will stop someone from harming you.

The law has been used in at least 93 cases involving 65 deaths, a recent St. Petersburg Times review found.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Florida has more going for it than just beaches and Disney World.

Not much chance this punk will be living on the taxpayers' tab. I just love a happy ending.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,851 Posts
Wow, a neighbor said he heard 5 shots. Musteliel must have either been seriously continuing to attack Baker, or Baker may have thought he was going for a weapon. But it could have been fairly dark at that hour, and when you're in reasonable fear of you life, you shoot until you're no longer threatened. Also, having it at two against one probably upped the fear factor for Baker.

Ms. Martinez, Musteliel's friend said he was a "jokester", and a "good kid".

A brief word to Martinez: Good kids don't assault strangers on the street.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
http://www.truecrimereport.com/2011/01/ ... _shoot.php

Police, meanwhile, have decided not to charge Baker. Under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, citizens have the right to defend themselves if they reasonably believe someone's trying to hurt them. A punch in the face on a dark night would seemingly fit that description.
What's that quote about playing stupid games? :roll:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Wow, a neighbor said he heard 5 shots. Musteliel must have either been seriously continuing to attack Baker, or Baker may have thought he was going for a weapon. But it could have been fairly dark at that hour, and when you're in reasonable fear of you life, you shoot until you're no longer threatened. Also, having it at two against one probably upped the fear factor for Baker.

Ms. Martinez, Musteliel's friend said he was a "jokester", and a "good kid".

A brief word to Martinez: Good kids don't assault strangers on the street.
If cops can do it, why not civilians?

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Good kids robbing and assaulting people at 1:30 in the morning, Yeah right!! He got what he deserved.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
So thats why I have not been robbed yet....I need to go eat, jog or shopping at 1am :roll:

Still, the BG got what he deserved!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
He was jogging with his pistol at 1AM? This seems a fight situation and I don't know if it would be justified in GA. Would it?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pml said:
He was jogging with his wallet and pistol at 1AM? No, this was a fight situation and I don't think it would be justified in GA.
I think the time is irrelevent. Did the article mention a wallet? I do believe that he might have a case in here based on disparity of force. 2 on 1.
One teen punched Baker, who thought he was about to become the victim of an armed robbery, Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies said.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
mountainpass said:
pml said:
He was jogging with his wallet and pistol at 1AM? No, this was a fight situation and I don't think it would be justified in GA.
I think the time is irrelevent. Did the article mention a wallet? I do believe that he might have a case in here based on disparity of force. 2 on 1.
One teen punched Baker, who thought he was about to become the victim of an armed robbery, Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies said.
Wallet, would be the robbery part. Wouldn't have to carry a license for the pistol?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After going to the store, they passed Baker again, and Mustelier said, "I'm gonna knock him out," according to the report.

That's when Mustelier lunged at Baker, swinging his fists, the report states.

The 16-year-old told detectives that Baker responded, "You wanna play games? You wanna play games?"

Baker said he was punched in the face. His lip was cut and his vision blurred, he told detectives.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... 144768.ece

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
mountainpass said:
After going to the store, they passed Baker again, and Mustelier said, "I'm gonna knock him out," according to the report.

That's when Mustelier lunged at Baker, swinging his fists, the report states.

The 16-year-old told detectives that Baker responded, "You wanna play games? You wanna play games?"

Baker said he was punched in the face. His lip was cut and his vision blurred, he told detectives.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... 144768.ece
Yeap, thats what I'd a said! I think he might even would have had a pocket knife on him too!

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Florida's "stand-your-ground" law was a factor in their decision, office spokesman Mark Cox said. Passed in 2005, the law gives people the right to use deadly force anywhere, as long as they "reasonably believe" the force is necessary to stop the other person from hurting them.
"Hurting", not fearing for my life...I like it!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Savvy Jack said:
Ahh a "teachable moment."
Savvy...please contact your Reps!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
mountainpass said:
Savvy Jack said:
That is not the FL law as written in their licensing application instructions, it's fear of death or serious bodily harm, felony etc., just like Georgia.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
pml said:
mountainpass said:
Savvy Jack said:
That is not the FL law as written in their licensing application instructions, it's fear of death or serious bodily harm, felony etc., just like Georgia.
:mrgreen:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pml said:
776.012Use of force in defense of person.
â€"A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1)He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2)Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.
bold added

·
Registered
949 Posts
pml said:
He was jogging with his pistol at 1AM? This seems a fight situation and I don't know if it would be justified in GA. Would it?
Who cares what time it is. When I was training for a half-marathon I was running late at night because it was the only time I had where I could run those kinds of distances.

Anyway I don't carry when I am running becuase I haven't found a good method to do it. I don't like wearing a fanny pack etc... Does anyone know of a good method that I could use to carry my Kahr CW9 while running? other than in my hand of course.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
i always walk at night....being a ginger my skin thanks me :shattered: but also my DOg is easier to take cause there are less people out and about walking their dogs and less cars etc

1 - 20 of 33 Posts