Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this today

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/west/chi-gunshop_07aug07,1,2819446.story?ctrack=3&cset=true
Ministers face trial in gun protest
By Lolly Bowean | Tribune staff reporter
August 7, 2007
Surrounded by ministers, anti-gun activists and two mothers who recently lost a child to gun violence, Reverends Jesse Jackson and Michael Pfleger said Monday they will keep the pressure on a Riverdale gun shop, even as they head to trial on trespassing charges.

The ministers spoke outside the Markham courthouse, where they appeared on charges of trespassing stemming from a June protest at Chuck's Gun Shop and a confrontation with owner John Riggio.

At Monday's hearing, which lasted just a few minutes, attorneys for Jackson and Pfleger asked for a jury trial, and a date was set for Nov. 26.
"We were not guilty of trespassing," Jackson said to several dozen demonstrators Monday. "We're guilty of trying to stop the gun flow."

During the confrontation, Riggio complained to police about the ministers, and they were taken into custody.

Jackson and Pfleger continued to criticize gun laws as lax and gun manufacturers and sellers, whom they blame for violence in Chicago.

"We want sensible gun laws," Jackson said. "You don't hunt with M-16s. You blow holes in tanks with those weapons. They were built just to kill people."

In recent months, Jackson and Pfleger, who have called for a statewide ban on assault weapons, have been holding rallies and demonstrations to highlight the toll gun violence has taken on Chicago youths. Assault weapons are banned in Chicago, but the ministers say the law is useless because people buy them at shops, like Chuck's, in the inner-ring suburbs, then bring them into the city. "They don't manufacture guns in the ghetto," Jackson said. "They make the guns, they grow the drugs. ... We go to jail and get killed from them."

Pfleger said the arrest was an attempt to intimidate them. "We're not going anywhere. We're going to step it up," he told supporters.

Riggio appeared at the hearing but did not speak. He declined to comment afterward.

Also present was Clara Allen, mother of a 21-year-old Northern Illinois University student who was fatally shot July 20 on the South Side. Allen said the death of her daughter, Dominique Willis, while she was home on summer break, has spurred her to get involved.

"I will not quit," she said. "I lost my child. When will it end?"

Annette Nance-Holt, the mother of Blair Holt, spoke to the same issue about her 16-year-old son, who was gunned down on a CTA bus in May while trying to save a friend. His murder, which occurred in the early afternoon, caused hundreds of leaders and residents to rally for solutions.

"We shouldn't have to live with gun violence," Nance-Holt said. "No one should have to be in and out of court because their child was killed. I'm here to keep that from happening, if I can."
My favorite part was when the good reverend said this
"We want sensible gun laws," Jackson said. "You don't hunt with M-16s. You blow holes in tanks with those weapons. They were built just to kill people."
Anyone know where I can find a rifle like that? :lol:

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Brian618 said:
Read this today

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/west/chi-gunshop_07aug07,1,2819446.story?ctrack=3&cset=true
Ministers face trial in gun protest
By Lolly Bowean | Tribune staff reporter
August 7, 2007
Surrounded by ministers, anti-gun activists and two mothers who recently lost a child to gun violence, Reverends Jesse Jackson and Michael Pfleger said Monday they will keep the pressure on a Riverdale gun shop, even as they head to trial on trespassing charges.

The ministers spoke outside the Markham courthouse, where they appeared on charges of trespassing stemming from a June protest at Chuck's Gun Shop and a confrontation with owner John Riggio.

At Monday's hearing, which lasted just a few minutes, attorneys for Jackson and Pfleger asked for a jury trial, and a date was set for Nov. 26.
"We were not guilty of trespassing," Jackson said to several dozen demonstrators Monday. "We're guilty of trying to stop the gun flow."

During the confrontation, Riggio complained to police about the ministers, and they were taken into custody.

Jackson and Pfleger continued to criticize gun laws as lax and gun manufacturers and sellers, whom they blame for violence in Chicago.

In recent months, Jackson and Pfleger, who have called for a statewide ban on assault weapons, have been holding rallies and demonstrations to highlight the toll gun violence has taken on Chicago youths. Assault weapons are banned in Chicago, but the ministers say the law is useless because people buy them at shops, like Chuck's, in the inner-ring suburbs, then bring them into the city. "They don't manufacture guns in the ghetto," Jackson said. "They make the guns, they grow the drugs. ... We go to jail and get killed from them."

Pfleger said the arrest was an attempt to intimidate them. "We're not going anywhere. We're going to step it up," he told supporters.

Riggio appeared at the hearing but did not speak. He declined to comment afterward.

Also present was Clara Allen, mother of a 21-year-old Northern Illinois University student who was fatally shot July 20 on the South Side. Allen said the death of her daughter, Dominique Willis, while she was home on summer break, has spurred her to get involved.

"I will not quit," she said. "I lost my child. When will it end?"

Annette Nance-Holt, the mother of Blair Holt, spoke to the same issue about her 16-year-old son, who was gunned down on a CTA bus in May while trying to save a friend. His murder, which occurred in the early afternoon, caused hundreds of leaders and residents to rally for solutions.

"We shouldn't have to live with gun violence," Nance-Holt said. "No one should have to be in and out of court because their child was killed. I'm here to keep that from happening, if I can."
My favorite part was when the good reverend said this
[quote:1cbowugh]"We want sensible gun laws," Jackson said. "You don't hunt with M-16s. You blow holes in tanks with those weapons. They were built just to kill people."
Anyone know where I can find a rifle like that? :lol:[/quote:1cbowugh]

Yea, about the M16s...no crap. He acts like you can just walk in and out of the store with a full-auto weapon...little does he know...

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,863 Posts
An M-16 can blow holes in a tank and I can go to a gunstore and walk out with one? Can someone direct me to that gun store? :roll:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,863 Posts
Assault weapons are banned in Chicago, but the ministers say the law is useless because people buy them at shops, like Chuck's, in the inner-ring suburbs, then bring them into the city.
He wants to punish a store because of what their customers may do AFTER leaving the store.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just read this from John Farnam:
Protest at DSA
06 Aug 07

"Protest" at DSA in Lake Barrington, IL

The Jackson crowd has been conducting protests at several gun dealers in upstate IL recently, and getting arrested in the process. On 28 Aug 07 (Tues), they plan a protest at DSA's facility in Lake Barrington, IL.

Of course, protestors will be outnumbered by food-frenzied, media people who will stick a microphone into Jessie's face every time he clears his throat! They'll display scant interest in interviewing anyone else.

DSA makes a wonderful product that many of us stake our lives on routinely. They supply rifles and accessories to police departments throughout IL and the entire nation. DSA rifles are on patrol every day.

My friends at DSA will courageously face these bussed-in protestors. They will offer no excuses nor rationalizations for being good citizens and honest businessmen, although they probably won't be heard, nor even noticed, on the evening news.

All of us, along with DSA, need to stand up to these bullies. We need not apologize for exercising our rights as Americans. Cowering before bullies, as S&W did several years back, never has a good result. You may as well bleed in front of a shark!

"You probably have some habit or practice that I would find disgusting. If your actions do not affect me, I will leave you in peace, especially when I know as little about the subject as you obviously do about firearms. I askof you the same courtesy. I have owned firearms my entire life. I neither owe nor offer you an apology. In addition, I resent being beaten (by the likes of you) with the same stick as what real criminals should be beaten with, and are not."

Cooper

/John
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/06Aug07.html

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
to highlight the toll gun violence has taken on Chicago youths. Assault weapons are banned in Chicago
Sure would like to see some #'s on how many of the gun incidents in Chicago are caused by AR15s, AK47's and the like. Bet a whole lot more are caused by the fo-tay than the 7.62.

Jesse is a just a criminal and an all around POS. The world will be much better off when he & his twin Al shuffle off their mortal coil.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Yea Farnam is a must read.

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/01Aug07.html

Give them all the lie!
01 Aug 07

In searching through presidential candidates' web pages, both Democrat and Republican, it is nearly impossible to find any clear statement of policiesand agendas with regard to the continued private ownership of guns by American citizens. Even RNC and DNC web pages are nearly devoid of substantive comment on this issue. What little exists is profoundly muddy and buried deep. Both parties, and all candidates, are obviously fearful of this issue and desperately dodge it any time it rears its ugly head.

Rudy Gulinani's Web Page features a short video of comments he madebefore a small, pro-gun group in NH, confirming the right of individual Americans to own and bear guns, as protected by the Second Amendment. At least, he came out and made a semi-clear statement on the subject, unlike other candidateswho can find no place for the topic in their speeches, nor in their web pages. However, the DNC's web page correctly points out that Gulinani, notlong ago, was an outspoken, passionate proponent for national legislation that would have virtually eliminated the private ownership of guns by all Americans, and when Gulinani was mayor of NYC, it was (and still is) nearly impossible for any resident of that city (still Americans, last time I checked!) to even legally acquire, much less bear, any kind of gun. I, along with the DNC, am confused!

Mit Romney, while governor of MA, signed legislation that banned the previously-legal possession of murkily-defined "assault-weapons." Yet, in a recent televised debate he characterized himself as a "supporter" of the Second Amendment. Curiously, on his web page, the subject is completely absent. Even in the "Ask-Mit-Anything" section, you only get to ask "pre-canned" questions, and, once again, neither gun-control in general, nor an explanation for his unprovoked attack upon the very weapons which are probably most protected by the Second Amendment, are on the list!

John McCain makes strong pro-Second Amendment statements under his "Issues" category. The "Issues" category of most other candidates is devoid of the topic. I love what he is currently saying, but, like Gulinani, this is an apparently recent "conversion." In the past, his support for this issue has not matched his current bravado.

All Democrat candidates, Barak, Hillary, John, Joe , even Bill Richardson, are grotesquely mute on the subject! DNC's web page had this to say about the subject in PA, although one really has to dig to find it: "With momentum for gun-control at a high level, this may be the best shot Democrats have at establishing gun-control in the state..." So, "establishing gun-control," whatever that means, is obviously still a DNC goal, albeit currently one of which they are apparently embarrassed!

I fully realize that, during the election season, it will be all but impossible to get a straight answer out of any candidate. On this, and other dicey issues, all will predictably perform a clumsy tap dance and then quickly change the subject, avoiding plain English like the plague! Accordingly, at every opportunity, we need to hold their feet to the fire.

I still believe the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. For one, I am extremely suspicions and skeptical of sudden " election-season-conversions," of which nearly all candidates have been guilty, some more than others. When one finds sticking with one side of an issue to be an impossible burden, it is the sign of an unstable mind!

Walter Raleigh said it best:

"Say to the Court it glows, and shines like rotten wood

Say to the Church it knows what's good, yet does no good

When Church and Court reply, give them both the lie

Tell zeal is wants devotion Tell love it is but lust Tell time it is but motion Tell flesh it is but dust

And beg them not reply just give them all the lie"

/John

created by [email protected]
Copyright © 2007 by DTI, Inc. All rights reserved.
created on Wednesday August 1, 2007 23:59:2 MST

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't hunt with M-16s. You blow holes in tanks with those weapons.
I wonder how the Ballistics match up to the mythical .88 Magnum, "It shoots through Schools" Movie quote, anyone know it?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Brian618 said:
You don't hunt with M-16s. You blow holes in tanks with those weapons.
I wonder how the Ballistics match up to the mythical .88 Magnum, "It shoots through Schools" Movie quote, anyone know it?
Johny Dangerously. Great movie, funny as heck...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
USMC - Retired said:
I agree, very funny movie. Maybe the Marines and the Army can agree on something for once :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Brian618 said:
USMC - Retired said:
I agree, very funny movie. Maybe the Marines and the Army can agree on something for once :lol:
Negative... the Marines insist on using logs, whereas Army types know that Assault Rocks are HSLD.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Read my signature line. :down:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I plan on writing a letter to the local Archdiocese asking for their position on this jack ass in Chicago. I'd also like to write to the Archdiocese up there as well.

I will be the first one to state that if the Catholic church backs this @$$hat in any way, I will gladly walk away from the church. No where in Catholic social teaching is firearms an issue. If they don't have the balls to stand up and put this guy in his place, I'm out of there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts