Jekyll Island buildings

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Gunstar1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well the entire island is owned by an Authority of the state of Georgia.

I was there last weekend and realized that all the buildings are publicly owned, even the hotel buildings. They are being leased by a hotel management group, but they are still publicly owned.

State patrol is the responding police agency.

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

yeah the entire area is a state park, the Jekyll island authority is the entity trying to ruin Jekyll with a lot more commercialization!

everyone should jump on the bandwagon of stopping this, they want to remove all of the parking lots the public uses in the intrest of new large hotels

FTL :(

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Is the whole area really a state park? If so we are good to go July 1st.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This is just a guess...and I mean just a guess...unless the troopers have been specifically trained (I doubt they have) that GFL holders are not allowed to carry into any building on the island because they are all gov't owned...I doubt many troopers think about this, know about this, care about this if you have a GFL. I'm talking about the buildings that are owned by the gov't but that are leased to private businesses like the hotels you are talking about, etc.

5. 2Abeliever

2Abeliever Member

Jeykll Island is not a state park.

Initially, Jekyll Island was part of the State Park system. However by 1950, as costs associated with getting the island ready for visitation began to mount, the island was taken out of the state park system and organized into a separate authority in order to become self-sustaining.

The Jekyll Island Authority was created in February 1950 under the direction of Governor Herman Talmadge, and was designed to be a governing board. This board consisted of nine gubernatorial appointed members and was charged with the operation and care of the island.

hope this helps.

6. bubbleguinea

bubbleguinea Guest

by the last sentence i assume that you got confronted????

7. InalienablyGreek

InalienablyGreek New Member

The JIA is trying to prevent commercialization of the island.

8. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

it is still a state park still you have to pay the standard $3 state park parking fee too. I live in downtown brunswick ga about 1.5 miles from the jekyll causeway

http://www.stateparks.com/jekyll_island__authority.html

jia is wanting to change and add on the island it has the glynn county resident in an uproar read some of the comments they have tried to pass stuff in the state legislature to stop growth(if they want to upgrade tear down whats there dont add more and let them go higher) they want to take the prime beach front property and the parking lots etc and put them into the hand of hotel devolpers. basically they want to ruin the island like St Simons is now

http://www.savejekyllisland.org

heres some comments : http://www.savejekyllisland.org/Comments.html :shock: :shock:

9. InalienablyGreek

Hmm, guess I was mixed up.

My mom has a house she's restoring in downtown Brunswick on Stonewall St. Sure am glad I didn't have to live there. Awesome house though. I moved away for college about 5 years ago. Grew up off Altama then 341 near Sterling. I want to move back someday. It's not the same town though. Becoming too over-populated. I sure hope Jekyll stays the way it is.

10. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

how old are you? yeah we got the house we are in from my grandfather after he passed away [​IMG]

11. InalienablyGreek

My mom got the house after her fiances unlce died. So technically it's his. Whatever.

12. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

which hs did you go to? im 25 and went to Glynn Academy