Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,893 Posts
streetriots said:
Would it be legal to drive my Jeep in Georgia with the windshield folded down?
Go on Lexis (available at the General Assembly web site) and look in the Code in title 40 (traffic) at equipment requirements for windshields. I wonder if you have a leather helmet, goggles, and a scarf?

·
Clueless
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must not be as good with LexisNexis as you are. I looked through the traffic code and found nothing of what you said. I also used the search function for leather helmet, goggles and scarf. None of them brought up information about driving.

§ 40-8-72. Mirrors

Is the only Code I may need to worry about since the rear view would be folded down with the windshield.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I believe you would need googles to be "legal" but I'm not sure 100%. I just know what the cop told me when pulled over driving a 88 honda accord with the roof and all windows chopped off. :D

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,569 Posts
streetriots said:
...I also used the search function for leather helmet, goggles and scarf. None of them brought up information about driving.
You need to search for "Red Baron" :p

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
§ 40-8-73. Windshields and windshield wipers
(a) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side windows, or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

(b) The windshield of every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture therefrom, which device shall be so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.

(c) Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

(d) No opaque or solid material including, but not limited to, cardboard, plastic, and taped glass shall be employed in lieu of a glass windshield or window.

(e) No motor vehicle shall be operated with a windshield or rear window having a starburst or spider webbing effect greater than three inches by three inches.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 119; Code 1933, § 68E-404, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-73, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.

It says the "windshield must ..." which implies, but does not state, that a vehicle has to have one, and more specifically to the question, it doesn't say that it must be erected in front of the driver/passenger. I know there are antique vehicles, as well as farm equipment (covered in other sections of the code) that operate without windshields.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Mainly, you'd want to have some eye protection for your own good even if it wasn't mandated... preferably a full helmet if you don't want bugs in your teeth :shattered:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My Dad never had any trouble with the police when he drove his Austin Healy with the windshield down. June Bugs on the other hand hurt like a mofo at 50+ mph.

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
Amen to that.
I drove with the windshield down on 285 in my CJ-8 and caught a bug right beneath the eye. Showed up at formation the next Monday looking like I'd been in a fight. From that point on, windshield was down only <35mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts