Jail for Kids with Replicas!?!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I could not believe what I was reading. Link to Article

It mentioned that cops saw some kids with a firearm replica that they were taking on a camping trip.

Ok. So?

Last week, cops in Holmdel caught a group of local boys with a replica handgun they planned to take on a camping trip with them. And according to a story in Greater Media's Independent, as the police officer was taking that young lad to the pokey, he spotted two more teens on the street with replica weapons.

I had to read that twice before the significance sunk in . . .

to the pokey? :shock:

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have an Idea, how about instead of legislative solutions, tell people if you don't want to get shot, don't point a gun fake or real, at a police officer.

Those examples given sound more like situations where the people with the replicas were trying to commit death-by-cop.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Really? Seeing it means they somehow threatened him with it?

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, not the kids, I meant all the stuff about doing an internet search on toy gun deaths.

The story basically says having toy guns legal to own and carry means that police must treat them as real guns and arrest or sometimes kill the people holding them since they can't tell the difference. So a law must be made to ban toy guns.

What I was saying is sure treat them as if they are real until you know they are not. If someone is stupid enough to point a real or fake gun at someone that without a doubt has a real gun, well the outcome to me is fairly obvious.

I just don't think a law needs to be created to stop stupid people from doing stupid things. You can't fix stupid. You certainly can't legislate it away.