Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be compliant in my hunting endevors. I'm afraid i'm too close to some houses. What or where can I find the distance laws for Jackson county???? I've looked and cannot find them.
Thanks,
Jimbo

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
ridepate said:
I want to be compliant in my hunting endevors. I'm afraid i'm too close to some houses. What or where can I find the distance laws for Jackson county???? I've looked and cannot find them.
Thanks,
Jimbo
Look to DNR laws. I don't see anything on distance from dwellings, though I'm reasonably certain it exists. Keep looking! You must be 50 yards from a public road.

Unlawful Activities:

For unlawful actions when hunting on a wildlife management area, see WMA Regulations.
It is unlawful to:

* Import any whole cervid (deer) carcass or cervid carcass part from any state having a documented case of cervid infected with CWD, except that the following may be imported: 1)boned-out meat; 2) commercially processed cuts of meat; 2) meat with no part of the spinal cord or head attached; 4) clean skull plates with antlers attached; 5) clean antlers; 6) finished taxidermy heads; 7) clean upper canines (buglers, whistlers, ivories).
* Hunt while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
* Use any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species
* Hunt within 200 yards of bait
* Hunt within sight of bait, regardless of distance
* Hunt or shoot from or across a public road
* Discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a public road
* Hunt from a vehicle, plane, or boat under power
* Hunt without landowners' permission including power line, gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way.
* Written permission must be obtained if land is so posted
* Use drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, or electronically-amplified sounds to hunt any game species
* Use electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit of game
* Use of a computer or any other device to remotely discharge a firearm for the purpose of hunting
* Sell or purchase any game species or parts thereof, except antlers, hides, and tails of legally taken deer and tails of legally taken squirrels, and legally taken alligator products
* Disturb wildlife dens, holes, or homes, or drive wildlife, except poisonous snakes, from their dens, holes, or homes
* Blind wildlife with lights
* Kill or cripple game without reasonable efforts to retrieve
* Hold, release, or import wildlife without a permit from the DNR
* Conceal taking or possession of wildlife (or parts) which the person in possession reasonably should have known was obtained illegally

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I should have been a little more clear. Not just pertaining to hunting, but discharging in general???
The reason I'm asking. We just aquired 14 ac adjacent to a subdivision. I just need definitions as to fireing in general, i.e targets, critters and so-on..
Thanks

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Start digging on Municode. In some places you only have to worry about the state restriction, in others local ordinances can be a good bit more restrictive.

It might also be helpful to make nice with a local officer or two. They might still get complaints even if you are 100% legal, so you'd be a little bit ahead if they know you and your setup before they get phone calls about it.

It wouldn't hurt to make nice with the neighbors either. Some of them might have the answers.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,516 Posts
I know exactly what you're referring to and understand you wanting to be legal. While state preemption controls most firearms laws, discharging a firearm is left to cities, counties, HOAs, etc. to regulate at their will.

In Chatham County, you have to be further than 1500 ft. from any dwelling that you don't have the permission of the owner. That's five football fields. Contact your local County and visit their websites to try to find where they keep their county ordinances and laws. Also, some cities and counties have special phone numbers that are for information (Savannah is 311) or to direct you to where you may find the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts