jacket question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharky, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I apologize for asking a stupid question. Nobody has ever told me the difference between "full metal jacket" and "total metal jacket"

I was wondering the difference? Is it the lead free primer? Any guidance would be very appreciated.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

oh yeah an the hydrashock jackets as well. I read somewhere that the muzzle velocity is greater with this type of jacketed bullet.

Thanks again for explaining the types to me.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I was wondering if anybody has ever loaded a pistol magazine with different tyes of ammunition at the range.

Say if you have a 15 round mag an you wanted to try different grains and manufacturers. Would this be stupid?

I told you I was full of stupid questions tonight........ But there are many new gun owners that may have the same questions on this site.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

# Round-nose (RN) - The end of the bullet is blunted, round, allowing it to penetrate solid objects farther than other types of bullets. The most common type of bullet, usually utilized in target shooting.
    # Hollow-point (HP) - The point of the bullet is hollowed out, which creates a mushrooming effect when a target is struck, causing more damage.
    # Pre-Fragmented - made up of many smaller pellets compressed into a single full-sized bullet, some are constructed like a shotgun shell, other simply break up into small pieces upon impact. Designed to disintegrate on impact with a solid object. They were designed to prevent a bullet from passing through a wall and injuring somebody on the other side. They have the least penetration ability and are only used for training or for specific tactical considerations.
    # Jacketed - The soft lead is surrounded by another metal, usually copper, that allows the bullet to penetrate a target more easily. Subdivided into:

1. Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) - the lead core is completely enclosed in the copper jacket. The only type of bullet permissible in warfare.
    2. Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) - The top of the bullet has an opening in the jacket, exposing a hollow lead core. On the force of impact, the bullet is forced to open up and expand, resulting in less penetration but greater damage due to the larger diameter of the now expanded bullet.
    3. Bonded Hollow Point (BHP) - Same as the JHP, but the metal jacket has been chemically bonded to the lead core to ensure that the jacket cannot separate from it on impact. This is desirable for when a bullet may need to penetrate glass or thin metal and still remain intact.
    4. Jacketed Flat Point (JFP) - similar to the wadcutter (see below), but jacketed.
    5. Total Metal Jacket (TMJ) - Same as the FMJ, however, unlike the FMJ where the metal jacket encloses the whole bullet except the base, the TMJ bullet's base is also enclosed by the jacket. Used for target shooting and at indoor ranges.

# Wadcutter - usually a cylindrical projectile composed completely of lead, the front of the bullet is flattened for use in target shooting, allowing it to cut neat and accurate wads out of the target for easier scoring.

Source

The "hydrashock" jackets are more than likely a propreietary thing meant to get gun people fired up as to its "tacti-cool"ness.

As for loading a mag with different types of ammo, nothing wrong with that. It will give you a feel for how the different types of ammo feel when they are shot. Some loads are a little snappier than others.

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

TMJ's have a copper jacket completely enclosing the lead core. FMJ's leave the base of the lead bullet exposed.

Hydra-Shok is a hollowpoint bullet design of Federal Cartridge Co. In general hollowpoints are lighter than solid bullets and due to expansion requirements the muzzle velocity is higher.

The only drawback I can see in mixing bullet types, manufacturers, and profiles at the range is a lack of concistency. Test your gun with a couple of hundred rounds of one manufacturer and one type of bullet. Then shoot a couple hundred with another. Even though guns are mass produced, there are variations. Your gun may shoot better with ammo from one manufacturer or like ammo from all but one. Or not like a particular profile of bullet.

6. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information and definitely helps. This site rocks. :D

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Aluminum Jacket

So what do you guys think about aluminum jackets. Thoughts? Stick with the copper jackets?

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Re: Aluminum Jacket

I was unaware there was such a thing.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

my mistake, aluminim casing.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Oh, like CCI Blazer. I've never had a problem with them. IIRC you cannot reload them like brass casings.

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

got ya!

Thanks man.........