Ja Rule Gets Prison for Gun in Car

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gunsmoker, Dec 13, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Here's an article about a guy who was traveling with a weapon (.40 Glock) in his vehicle in New York City.
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-music/rapper-ja-rule-pleads-774235.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm

He was arrested, charged, and now his lawyers worked out a plea deal where he only serves TWO YEARS in PRISON, instead of the possible 15 he was facing.

(For just having a gun. In his car. No intent to rob somebody or anything. He's not a convicted felon. There's no reason to think he had this gun for other than lawful purposes, unless of course you just assume that black hip-hop artists are all dangerous thugs. Like the AJC headline from 100 years ago said, "Disarm the Negros"-- maybe that's the philosophy behind prosecuting him this strongly.)

Bottom line, HOW, in the United States of America, given our Bill of Rights (Second Amendment, substantive due process, 8th Amendment cruel and unusual punishment, etc) HOW can a man face 15 years in prison and being classified as a "violent" felon. For a simple gun possession charge???

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

He is now.

3. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I was searching this and found this link: http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 23,00.html
    In the article below the second paragraph is a red hot link(See the 25 Crimes of the century) No I didn't link that.

This thing stinks all around. Another source said he must register as firearm offender.

Edit:link
    Is that a NY law?

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

"Because of your guilty plea here today, you'll have a record of having committed a violent felony. This is a very serious matter," Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Richard Carruthers told him Monday.

Just having possession of a firearm in one's own vehicle is a "violent felony"? What? Was the gun growling at the officer when he found it?

I thought this was the land of the 2nd Amendment? Oh, we're talking about New York here. My bad.

As a Georgian, I vote for NY to succeed from the Union.

5. niadhf

niadhf New Member

Have any of you read NYC weapons code? Lets say that Chicago and DC must have modeled theirs on NYC. Understand that in NY STATE you may not OWN a pistol without a permit. NYC is of course the same, but a NYS pistol permit IS NOT VALID in NYC.

Phil, as a new york stater i say bugger off to that. HOWEVER, if NYC and that dipspit they voted as Myaor were to be made to succeed, i would be happy.

6. pml

pml Active Member

Ridiculous. Potential 15 years for that?

Glad I read this before thinking about driving up to the Northeast for Christmas.
    Is there no way to get through NY legally with a pistol?

7. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

afaik FOPA is the only legal way...

8. niadhf

niadhf New Member

Short answer. Nope. Except for FOPA (never seen it like that, thanks rabbivj).
    IF you are attending a NRA sponsored event, you can bring them to that event (again i am talking state here. Throw out EVERYTHING else for NYC). BUT if you are doing such.. BRING THE SHEET ON THE EVENT WITH NRA SPONSORED EVENT on it.

I have had more than one Officer up here tell tales of..."when we pull over a car with a (out of state, usually southern, plate), as "we" are talking to them, ask.."so, where is the pistol?" as they reach under the seat (in the glove box etc)... we got 'em. Now i KNOW all on here Know AIFTG. But still.

Also, if you are headied this way (WHy?!?!?!) know that ANY hollow points are illegal in NJ. Even if you are taveling through, NJ will probably violate you. I mean your rights. Theoretically they may ask you to prove ownership of the firearm also. (granted i have not found this statute).

Ma is... slightly, better than NY and NJ. VERMONT is the way to go. (since Alaska and i THINK Arizona have followed them. i have to nod to those states too).

Oh, and if you are FLYING here. The Albany PD and Albany County SD WILL arrest you if you attmept to fly out of Albany without a NY state Pistol Permit. Non-resident permits are non- existant. Yep, the airlines at ALB have been instructed.. Call TSA for Fed Regs, call the On site LEOs for NY Violation of Rights.

Anyone got a job for me down there? Construction, windows and doors and Finish carpentry, "Green" bullding.. heck im a regular Rennesaince guy, i can do a lot!

(NOW are you glad you asked???)

Oh yeah, MAss is a mandatory 1 (2?? may have changed it) jail sentence for any firearms violations. FYI

9. spector

spector New Member

Any chance he'll fight this on constitutional grounds in light of Heller/McDonald?

He probably has the money to do so.

10. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Nope he plead guilty.

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Threads like this one are why I don't read and post here as frequently as I once did. They make me waaaaaaay too angry and saddened.

I know it's a little early, but I think maybe it's time for a drink. Apparently, there's little else I can do about this situation or the far, far too many others similar to it...

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I'm with you 100% - reading this thread just seemed to enrage me.

13. niadhf

niadhf New Member

New York CITY and Baltimore

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org ... nder.shtml

:puke: Good ole Bloomberg :puke:

14. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Holy crap! And I thought life was bad in NYC with mayor Dinkins. Reading about this Gun Offender Act makes me so happy I got the hell of out NYC when I did and never had the bad luck of living under the Bloomberg regime.

15. niadhf

niadhf New Member

Bloomberg is a perfect case for Birth control. He wont be happy until the rest of the world is like his "perfect" :puke: NYC.