I've got an interesting story....

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by dwalker, Oct 12, 2007.

1. dwalker

dwalker New Member

About 2 years ago I was traveling home from my parents' house in Florida and I was stopped by the Florida Highway Patrol for speeding. I had my Glock 45 unloaded in the holster inside the pocket of the drivers side door and the ammo was in a bag laying on the back seat. At the time, I had applied for my CCW, but the state could not process my fingerprints so I had a letter on my person stating that and I had already been fingerprinted again so I was expecting to get my actual license in 2-3 weeks.

So, as the LEO approaches my door he tells me that I was speeding and asks me what my rush is. I'm very polite to him, and tell him that I realize I was speeding and honestly have no reason, I just have a heavy foot, lol. So, he asks for my DL and insurance, I pull out my wallet and get them out and I tell him that I have an unloaded handgun in the pocket of the drivers door, when I tell him both of my hands are getting my DL out of my wallet, I was not reaching for it...I'm not stupid, and if I'm gonna shoot you, I damn sure wouldn't be telling you I have a gun! But, Mr. LEO freaks the hell out on me, pushes me with his right hand on my shoulder and tells me not to move as he draws his weapon(didn't point it at me, but pulled it out). He tells me not to move, he puts his weapon back into the holster and opens the door to retrieve my gun. He secures the Glock and finds just as I told him, that it is not loaded, and then asks me what the hell I'm thinking. I tell him the story about my permit and give the letter to him. Now I'm still being very respectful to this cop but he is a complete ass at this point, he tells me that I'm in violation of the law for having a concealed weapon in my vehicle. I apologized to him and told him it was my fault, I thought that it was legal to conceal it unloaded and have the ammo seperate from the gun but I was wrong, I should have been 100% sure before I did what I did. So, he asks me if I have any other guns, rocket launchers, grenades or explosive devices in the vehicle and I kind of chuckle as I tell him the only other thing I have are the .45 rounds in the bag in back that I had already told him about...he didn't think it was so funny.....prick.....

He takes the gun, tells me to stay put, and goes back to his patrol car, where he spends the next 20 minutes or so checking out the gun and on the radio....When he comes back its like a totally different LEO, I mean he looks the same, talks the same, but a totally different attitude. Granted, I still got a speeding ticket for driving 72 in a 55 I think, but he gives me my gun back and says that I should put it in my glove compartment, won't fit which I already knew, but I tried just to satisfy him, then we agree that I can lay it on the back seat in the holster. He then tells me that he could give me a citation for the concealed weapon, but seeing how I have applied for a firearms permit and the state had a mix up, he was going to let me off with only a verbal warning. I was relieved about that, he gave me my ticket and told me to have a nice day.

I know thats a long and drawn out story, sorry, but what gets me is the way he reacted to me telling him upfront that I had an unloaded pistol in the door, unloaded....maybe he didn't hear the un part of that, I dunno....What is your take on this, and has anyone ever been in a similar situation. I love having a permit though, and love being able to just hand them that and not tell them anything else! Also, I've also been very respectful to law enforcment, I've actually considered trying to get into it, my brother-in-law is a Sgt. now in Cobb. I guess maybe the respect I showed this guy got me out of a concealed weapon citation.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

O.C.G.A. 16-11-126(d)

3. ntech

ntech Member

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You probably shouldn't have said this part. Remember that LEO didn't known you from Adam. There might just be a slick talking BG that would tell an officer about a gun and then shoot him with it. You never know. Probably not though. Better to not bring to mind; you, gun, shooting at officer, etc.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I can't tell if that part of the OP is narrative or if that's what was actually said.

6. dwalker

dwalker New Member

LOL, no that part was not said at all...just what I was thinking to myself at the time. GaGunOwner, you have a very good point, he didn't know me and I really don't think he overreacted. It made me feel alot better(even though I still got a fast driving award) that he was alot nicer when he returned. I guess I can't really blame him for his initial reaction. Thats why I'm glad to have a GFL now, don't have to tell 'em nothin'!

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Why oh why do people volunteer this information?? Its not necessary...

8. dwalker

dwalker New Member

I think the only thing not necessary is your post!

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

So why did you volunteer the information?

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

My apologies, I was not intending it to be offensive. Its just frustrating to me to hear about police officers freaking out about a basic right.

Essentially we are just trying to help you out in order to avoid these types of conflicts when they are unnecessary. I guess what I am trying to say is to not offer more information then is necessary. Some cops wont mind, some will, but why take the chance. Now had he asked you to get out of the car or asked you if you had any weapons in the vehicle, then its different.

Again, I wasnt trying to be a smarta$$, I just dont like to see people go through this kind of thing...

11. dwalker

dwalker New Member

My apologies, I was not intending it to be offensive. Its just frustrating to me to hear about police officers freaking out about a basic right.

Essentially we are just trying to help you out in order to avoid these types of conflicts when they are unnecessary. I guess what I am trying to say is to not offer more information then is necessary. Some cops wont mind, some will, but why take the chance. Now had he asked you to get out of the car or asked you if you had any weapons in the vehicle, then its different.

Again, I wasnt trying to be a smarta$$, I just dont like to see people go through this kind of thing...[/quote:3n87jk8w]

My apologies, I totally misread what you had written and made myself look foolish....lol

Now that I look back I agree, I shouldn't have said anything. My brother in law has been working for the Cobb County P.D. for about 20 years now, and he always told me that if I did not have a permit(GFL) that I needed to let an officer know that I have a firearm in my vehicle during a routine traffic stop. Now, I took what he told me about Georgia and used it in Florida and got a totally different reaction then what I had previously seen in Georgia. I was stopped on the way to Atlanta Motor Speedway a few years ago but the GSP. When the officer got to my window I gave him my license and told him I had a loaded handgun on the seat next to me. His reaction as far as I remember was, "ok, why are you speeding....."

I guess I really just spoke before I thought in the case in Florida, luckily it turned into only a verbal warning and the guy was pretty cool in the end. If I would have kept my mouth shut, the traffic stop would have been about 20-30 minutes shorter and my life would have been a little easier that day! Live and learn I guess.....Sorry again for being a smart ass! :)

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

"Officer, I was afraid it would jump up and shoot through schoolyards of children, so I wanted to get to my destination as soon as possible!"

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Here's an interesting observation I just made. I am guilty myself so I'm not pointing fingers.

The same people that will tell you that it is good to open carry so that everyone, including LEOs, can see it will tell you not to disclose to an officer who stops your car.

14. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Good point, and quite a contradiction!

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, I also don't OC if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. When I'm driving somewhere, I'm usually trying to make an appointment. Also, you can't exactly educate the public while on the side of the road getting patted down. I just don't see the upside to disclosing to an officer (I've only been pulled over once with a gun in the car and did not disclose).

16. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Yeah, there is a difference...

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:rotfl2: