Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of today I'm no longer a freeloader. My last unemployment check has been direct deposited and next week I get my first paycheck from my new job.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
:righton: :cheers:

·
Registered
392 Posts
vr6glidriver said:
Congrats!
x2.

having been forced to take a government handout after 2 jobs ended with me getting laid off I know the great feeling of getting back on your feet. Congrats!

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
:applause:

Congrats!

I had a good interview on Monday and should be getting an offer this week as well. :righton:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Congratulations! Now that you have a job 'n all can I hold two dollars til Friday? :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Good on you... Congrats and good luck on the new job :righton:

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,775 Posts
today im no longer going to be a freeloaded either...i got a job at a tv station watching tv for 10$ an hour :lol:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
fausty said:
having been forced to take a government handout after 2 jobs ended with me getting laid off...
You guys think that unemployment benefits are "a government handout?" :?

The person that gets the benefits has paid into UI. Actually, their employer has BUT that is factored into the cost of hiring you for the employer. So the first 26 weeks really aren't welfare or a handout.

Realistically, the federal extensions after the first 26 weeks are basically welfare and handouts. :shattered: No so for the first 26 weeks of regular UI.

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
Aint that just a wonderful feeling?

congrats man. :righton:

·
69,318 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
The person that gets the benefits has paid into UI. Actually, their employer has BUT that is factored into the cost of hiring you for the employer. So the first 26 weeks really aren't welfare or a handout.
Is there actually a pool of invested money, like real insurance, or is this just another tax and handout scheme, like social security?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
MP said:
Is there actually a pool of invested money, like real insurance, or is this just another tax and handout scheme, like social security?
link
Businesses in Georgia pay into a state fund that the Labor Department uses to pay unemployment when workers are laid off or terminated through no fault of their own. In 1998, Georgia had a $1.9 billion surplus in the fund, said Brock Timmons, chief of the Labor Department's employment insurance legal section. In 2003 and 2004, the state paid out about $722 million a year from the fund, Timmons said. In 2009, at the height of the Great Recession, Georgia paid $1.47 billion in unemployment benefits. Georgia's unemployment rate has been above the national average in recent years. It is currently at 9.9 percent; the national average is 9.6 percent.

"It took us by surprise," Timmons said of the rising unemployment.

Thurmond has increased the percentage Georgia employers pay into the fund by 30 percent since 2009.

State officials say Georgia has received advances totaling $454.5 million from the federal government. Georgia must pay back the money but has not set up a timetable to do so. Timmons said Georgia employers could pay more in federal unemployment taxes if the loan isn't repaid by November 2011.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
State officials say Georgia has received advances totaling $454.5 million from the federal government. Georgia must pay back the money but has not set up a timetable to do so. Timmons said Georgia employers could pay more in federal unemployment taxes if the loan isn't repaid by November 2011.
So it appears that "we" also pay into a federal UI scheme as well.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
So it appears that "we" also pay into a federal UI scheme as well.
:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

congrats Adam!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Would someone in the know please explain the who, what, when, where, and how for the current expiration of federal unemployment benefits (December 1st).

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
As long as you were a productive member of society, you were never a "freeloader"....you never get back from the government what they take from you!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts