Its HERE Its Here

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

The greatest holiday of the year.

Groundhog Day

Phil saw his shadow!

Spring is close.

All Hail the Mighty Groundhog
    Se'er of Se'ers
    Prognosticator of Prosnosticators
    The Truly Great and Wonderous
    Punxsutawney Phil
    HAIL
    HAIL
    HAIL

and some say its also knows as Candlemas Day and

If Candlemas day is bright and clear
    ther'll be 2 winters in the year
    but if Candlemas day is cloudy and grey
    Spring will arrive about any day

Happy Groundhog Day folks.

Some here may lean toward reports from Gen. Beauregard Lee. Keep in mind Phil has him here to keep an eye on and report back regarding the gulf and storm activity. He does not do any predicting. He only collects info and reports. Local TV channels may call him a predictor but that he does not do.

Nemo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Phil seeing his shadow means 6 more weeks of winter. Not spring is close.

3. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

That place and ceremony is every bit as weird as portrayed in the movie.

Also, Phil 'chooses' between two scrolls placed on a log.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yes, I've actually been in Punxsutawne, PA. Only because it was close to where the ex-inlaws lived. Yes, it's weird and creepy. Bill Murray should have been born there! :lol:

5. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I was living in Indiana PA for 6 months a few a years ago when Groundhog day was a Saturday. Being responsible construction field supervisory staff we got a party bus/van, loaded it up with booze and proceeded to all night it until the big reveal in the 15* weather the next morning. We passed the bottle of fireball around to survive. I remember having long underwear, pants, bibbs, insulated boots and neither that nor the booze was enough to provide warmth.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Ah, the big town! The inlaws lived in Saltsburg where pretty much nothing ever happened.

7. phaed

phaed Active Member

oh, i thought you meant the new phonebook.

[​IMG]

8. Casual User

Casual User Member

Keep rubbing it in. I ordered a new rifle a week ago, and it's still not here yet. Tikka T3 in 22-250, left hand, which is a classic groundhog caliber. I've got rings and a Swarovski 3-10 to mount on it, 200 rounds of factory ammo, some Lapua brass, Redding dies, etc. on order, I ain't takin no crap from a rodent.

9. Nemo

FYI they are excellent dinner. Basically salt/pepper rub or your spice preference and fry in a bit of bacon grease. For breakfast do a bit of bacon first then the whistlepig then the eggs.

They drink no water so no pollution ingested there and simply grass eaters for both food and fluid intake. A really clean meat that is quite tasty.

Nemo

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  10. Casual User

Casual User Member

I've probably eat worse. back when I was a starving college student a pigeon landed on the roof of my humble rental abode. totally bad career move. pigeon ain't nothing but a dove on steroids.

11. Nemo

I could say they taste like chicken but that would be inaccurate. The taste like whistlepig. AKA groundhog, woodchuck, field rat and others.

Nemo

12. Casual User

Casual User Member

That's got some possibilities, but I think the new rifle will be dedicated to dangerous big game, I've been eyeball to eyeball with an enraged armadillo in a palmetto thicket. If you ever find yourself in such a situation,the old adage about using enough gun will immediatiately come to mind,

13. Nemo

As long as I am east of the Mississippi I carry a .357 on woods adventures. If that ain't enough I am in the wrong part of the woods. And it is too far east.

Nemo

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  14. Casual User

Casual User Member

A .357 with about as much 296 or 2400 as you can stuff in the case . store bought ammo is for folks that squat to pee.

15. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

That's the way I feel about the .357
    I've eaten squirrels but never a groundhog although I've shot several.

16. Casual User

Casual User Member

I've eat pigeon since on dove shoots in
    Argentina. A dove shoot in Argentina is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.