It's a crazy small world we live in

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GFLinTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Nine years ago, I was a Navy brat living in Rota, Spain, where my mother worked at the naval hospital. That summer, I went to a Little League baseball tournament in a small town called Kutno, Poland. In the fourth game, we were playing the DoD team from Belgium. I got drilled in the ribs by their pitcher and didn't play for the rest of the tourney.

Fast forward nine years to yesterday...I showed up to my new brigade in El Paso, TX, for the first time. The brigade commander informed me that I'd be working at the S3 shop for now. I went on down there and met my new coworkers, and struck up a conversation with another LT. He told me how he lived in Belgium as a kid, and said he had visited Rota and stuff. So we get to talking about our experiences, and I mention the baseball tournament:

Him- "KUTNO! Yeah, man, I was there in 2001 for the Belgian team. Good times."
    Me- "Oh cool! I actually got HBP when we played you guys and I missed the rest of the tournament..."
    Him- "Oh. My. God. I remember that. It was me who hit you. I've still got the VHS tapes of it. Sorry, bro."

So pretty much, I get beaned by a total stranger on the other side of the planet almost a decade ago, and yesterday, it turns out that we're not just both on the same post, or the same brigade, but in the same office, in a city 6,000 miles from where we first "met".

I've heard some whacky small world stories before, but this one takes the cake. Wow.

2. vanguard

vanguard New Member

that is funny. did you smack him.? :shattered:

3. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Not yet, but I did tell him that if I walk by one day and punch him in the chest, he's knows what it's about. He said he'd have to keep an eye out. :righton:

4. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

It is my understanding that on average, we are only 3 people away from anyone in the world.

In other words, I know someone that knows someone........3 times and it covers everyone on the planet.

5. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

I've heard the same theory, but with six as the magic number instead. It's both unbelievable and logically feasible at the same time. In my 23 years, I've met about 1,500 people (I did a work assignment a few years ago that required me to list all the people I'd ever met, or try to, at least). And if you consider that each of those knows about a thousand people,and then each of those knows 1,000 more, it gets big FAST. Definitely in the billions. And that's just with three levels.

Of course, there's probably a group of pygmies somewhere in Indonesia who have only been visited by three outsiders in all of history who screw it up for all of us.

Another fascinating demographic fact, 1 in 200 people are direct descendants of Genghis Khan. I always thought it was cool in classes or jobs when we did introductions and my interesting tidbit was that I'm a certified pilot. Just imagine if you could say your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa conquered Asia.