It Only Happens Here

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Nemo, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

in the U.S. Not overseas.

Nemo

https://www.foxnews.com/world/brazi...ves-several-dead-including-5-kids-reports-say

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Fake news. Obama was very clear about this and I think we all know we're not allowed to question the chosen one....

In all seriousness, I'm not surprised. I think that other cultures will pick up on mass shootings as they see them being effective in America.

3. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

you can't own a gun in brazil, or even have a knife with a pointed tip for that matter. fake news.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

You're probably mixing up Brazil with England. Guns and pointy knives are very illegal in the UK. Brazil has millions of legally owned firearms, although they are mostly relegated to home use. They also have millions of illegally owned firearms courtesy of their thriving black market. Newly elected president Jair Bolsonaro has made it known he's all in favor of the citizens legally owning and carrying guns for self defense. Knives aren't illegal except for openly carrying them I believe.

5. moe mensale

Too bad the school didn't have a school resource officer like they had in Parkland to prevent such a tragedy. Oh, wait..................

6. mrhutch

When I went in 2010 I researched their laws. At the time, only knifes with flat or rounded tips were legal to be carried. That very well could have changed since then though.

7. mrhutch

It was also VERY difficult for private citizens to own pretty much anything but sporting shotguns. Even the local cops only had a club and a kevlar vest.

8. moe mensale

Considering the large numbers of armed youth gangs, I'm sure the citizens are waiting for their new president to follow through on his gun promise.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, who took office in January, has signed a decree making it easier for law-abiding citizens to own a gun, a key campaign promise, even though many restrictions remain in place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47558141

10. Malum Prohibitum

Police arrived eight minutes after being called and did not confront the gunmen.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

same link:

Security camera footage from the school’s entrance published on the website of O Globo newspaper showed Monteiro entering the school around 9:30 a.m. He immediately pulled a pistol out of his jeans and shot into a group of eight students, hitting at least two, who dropped to the floor.

Castro entered the school a few seconds later and put a crossbow and backpack on the floor. He then pulled out a hatchet and hacked at the bodies on the ground.

Students flooded into the entrance foyer, running into Monteiro. He grabbed one girl by the hair and punched her several times in the face.

She managed to escape, and students frantically scrambled out of the school.

13. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Fortunately, in this instance, it didn't matter as the perpetrators took their own lives instead of engaging law enforcement. According to the AP, they had a large group of students trapped and, armed with molotov cocktails and various weapons, the body count would have been a lot higher if they didn't take their own lives in fear of engaging the police.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Salles said the gunmen used at least one .38 caliber pistol and speed loaders, along with a crossbow, knives, a compound bow and arrow and several Molotov cocktails.

. . .

Crime scene photographs released by police show Monteiro, his head lying in a pool of blood, dressed in black with a machete tucked in his pants. Castro’s body lay near Monteiro’s, with the crossbow on the ground between the pair.

15. moe mensale

You forgot the hatchet and the machete. But I don't see any assault weapons. Where's the assault weapons? School massacres require assault weapons. Where's the assault weapons? Hey, Senators Feinstein, Murphy, Blumenthal, et al, are you going to be updating SB 66 to include the latest school assault weapons?

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

They had knives. Pointy sharp objects. Those are assault weapons. They too must be banned. Ask Britain and the Mayor of London.

Nemo