It is good to be paranoid!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tace, May 30, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I am good at many things I do because of my attention to detail. This gets a huge helping from the fact that I usually double or triple check many important points in any process/tool, etc.

So hopefully my experience below helps someone be safe:

I always carry without a round in the chamber. I know to rack the slide if I pull the gun out. That's just my own procedure, personal preference.

Anyway, I was carrying my gun in a holster in the side pocket of some camo pants one day. At night when I got home and I was going to put the gun up for some reason, I needed to secure the gun. I pulled it out of the holster, hit the magazine safety and dropped the magazine. Now, I "knew" I never chambered a round but I went ahead and racked the slide back to check the chamber. Sure enough, a round popped out of the chamber. It apparently came loose from the magazine due to being carried around all day and was sitting not comletely in the barrel, but probably enough to go off if the trigger was pulled.

So, as they say, the gun is always loaded :)

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What gun was that?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That makes no sense.

Do you carry with an open bolt? Is this an open bolt gun (Mac-11, &c.)?

4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

If the slide was forward how did a round get from the mag and into the chamber? Are you sure that a round was chambered at some point?

5. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Man, I dunno. If that had happened to me, I'd be trying to think of what I did to piss off my wife! :lol: :shock: Sounds like somebody at some point might have racked that slide.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's one of the reasons that I carry and store my carry guns chambered. I know that they are ready to go, and that I need to "safe" them if I'm going to clean them or show them to someone.

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Im glad you caught your gun before it jumped out and started shooting people!

Those dang guns have a mind of their own....

8. tace

tace New Member

Of course, the slide might have been racked at some point and the bullet could have been sitting in the barrel but besides that, I "knew" I didn't rack the slide, just like many LEOs who have accidents with their guns.

The point is, I was trained to drop the mag and check the barrel/chamber (in that order) EVERY time I handled the gun, glad my paranoid side wouldn't let it go.

I think there is a saying in some cultures like "devils plaything" referring to guns. Maybe it was the devil who racked my gun. :)

"Guns are the devil, Bobby Busche!"

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Tace,
    Can I talk you out of carrying without a chambered round?

#1. You firearm is not going to go off with a chambered round as long as you keep it in a good quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger. Has the trigger ever been pulled on your unloaded gun while it was in your holster? No, probably not.

#2. Having to rack the slide is only going to cost you valuable time that you may not have. It is an extra thing to remember and it is something you could mess up in that situation. See example #3.

#3. You may "short stroke" the slide causing the round not to fully seat in the chamber causing a jam.

#4. Your free hand may not be so free if your attacker is in close and you are having to use it to defend or keep him off of you. You free hand/arm may be broke, cut, shot, or otherwise unuseable.

I just want you to think about these things if you have not already. If loaded carry is not for you then ok.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

BIG plus one to what Doc says!

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

+1 one in the pipe.
    I know it's there, my wife knows it's there.
    It's to be treated as though it's ready to rock at all times because it is.
    I do NOT want to have to worry about racking the slide when I need to be pointing & shooting.
    K.I.S.S.

When I first started carrying I didn't keep a round chambered because I never really thought about it. That lasted about 2 weeks. Then I got around to thinking about it. Now, for my pleasure, I always have one more round than the mag holds.

12. tace

tace New Member

I know all these things and have considered them before but it would mean making a mental change, and I am not quite sure about that yet. Then there's the issue of my wife freaking out if she knew I carried with one in the chamber because she is VERY scared of guns.

13. Bulldawg182

I've considered both sides of this debate and, in keeping with a good, old fashioned middle of the road attitude, I keep one in the pipe sometimes and not other times.

If I feel I'm entering an "area of increased threat" I'll chamber a round before leaving the car,etc. If I'm feeling more comfortable with my surroundings and in an area of "not so likely threat"....I don't.

Either way, I'm with Tace in that I always pull the mag and open the slide before putting the gun down.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It's an easier change than being caught off guard and having to suffer the consequences.

Has the trigger of your firearm ever unintentionally gone to the rear while in the holster? Would this happen if a round was in the chamber?

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Just because they don't trust their people to be competent with a charged weapon.

17. Bulldawg182

Ramm....don't know about you, but there are very few more finely trained than Mossad agents. These boys know what they're doin.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm sure they know how to shoot. But the fact remains that Israel, as a whole, made their training for the lowest common denominator. They chose safety over readiness.

19. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yes but at the time they put that training in place they were using every type of gun they could get their hands on. By ignoring the safeties and concentrating on working from condition three they were able to train every one with the same protocol. It stays the common practise because one ND will get your weapons permit snatched, and no one wants their permit snatched.

20. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I wouldn't be caught dead without one in the chamber.

Oh, wait, I probably would...