Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Niceguy,
Call Sheriff Harris, find out when the prints were submitted and who does the LEO signoff in the Sheriff's Office, and find out when the forms were sent to the probate judge...
Please post the results here.

·
69,743 Posts
What really gets under my skin is this: While the LEO running the Paulding operation should correct the issue (from pride in his job if nothing else), the law only gives him 50 days to make his reports to the probate judge, O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(4), but this only matters if there is derogatory information to report.

"When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required."

So, boys and girls, after reading this, is the report required, or does the statute say that it shall not be required? May a probate judge continue to wait on a report that the statute states "shall not be required" (assuming it states this, I dunno, does it)?

While the Sheriff needs to fix his issue, the probate judge should not be waiting on a report that the statute says "shall not be required."

Assuming it says this, of course.

·
69,743 Posts
And just because I posted it here does not mean that the statute actually says the "report shall not be required." You see, the probate court of Muscogee County straightened out this issue about internet posting for us.

havoc1 said:
When I again inquired about the temp (I forgot my birth cert the first visit), I was told that the county does not issue them. I pointed out that state law specifies that they will be issued. Her response? "Where are you getting all this? The internet? I wish people would stop posting that stuff, because it just isn't true!"

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
MP, I understand. However, I spent some time talking to Probate Judges and I need some more information before I start a real big stink about a few things....
Believe me, I have already started a stink, it just ain't over yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SheriffOconee said:
Niceguy,
Call Sheriff Harris, find out when the prints were submitted and who does the LEO signoff in the Sheriff's Office, and find out when the forms were sent to the probate judge...
Please post the results here.
So sorry it took this long for me to respond and I think the email reply never came to me. It has been a rough year or so for me, personal wise but I am now back.

I eventually got my CCW on Dec. 17, 2007. It took 6 months to get it here in Paulding County.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Congrats, Niceguy. Better late than never. And welcome back.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
At this point, thanks to GCO and some of our Legislators, this should be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Just be glad that Shirley Franklin has no control over the issuance of GFL's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts