Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

It Happened to ME! GPDO Forum Member

15K views 138 replies 78 participants last post by  CoffeeMate 
#1 ·
came home to find my house burglarized. the BG came back for another load. i shot him w/ 3 rounds of 7.62 center mass. i didn't give him any warning.

#3 ·
The military guy up north GA? Good job with that one! :righton:

#5 ·
I'd like to be the first to say thank you. You probably saved someone from being raped or murdered in the future. The perp got just what he deserved.

#8 ·
cut and pasted from the other site...
--------------------------------------------
i haven't spoken publicly about this until recently. i thought it best for the folks (on both sides) to calm down a bit first.

it seems some of you have questions. that's understandable from what little the media had. i think it's important to share this story now because someone besides me may be able to learn from my experience.

i'm a soldier attending graduate school level training at fort gordon for my functional area. i came home from school around 3:30 pm. this was not "early" like the paper mistakenly portrayed, in fact it's kind of late. we are usually done with class by noon, so we can go complete the 4-8 hours of reading and homework required per night.

i entered my home, and went in the bedroom like every day to take off my uniform top. my LCD projector that is normally on top of a computer desk was laying on the floor. i remember thinking to myself how odd that was, and wondering how often georgia had earthquakes, heh. then i looked around the room, and saw the bed mattress half way off the bed. i then noticed that my .45 i kept in a holster on my nightstand was gone.

at this point, i knew i'd been burglarized. my first thought was to arm myself. i didn't know if the BG was still around. i went to my computer desk to get my glock 22, but it was missing as well.

i then went to a spot where i kept an SKS hidden (folding poly stock, 30 rnd mag). i locked and loaded the weapon and immediately dialed 911. i talked to the dispatcher on my cell phone in my left hand. i pistol-carried the SKS in my right...clearing my house room to room.

while clearing i saw the general disarray of my home, and also noticed a pile of high value items that the BG had obviously created on the floor. as i realized what this meant, it came true. through a window, i saw the BG coming back. from my neighbors backyard, he jumped the fence into my backyard. he was thugged out with tats, dreads, wife-beater, pants below his ass, and carrying a trash bag.

he opened my back porch (enclosed) door and came inside. he then made his way to the door into my den (where i was in the dark) and began to open it. as he was coming in, i told dispatch i had to assume he was still armed, and that i was going to have to shoot. i placed 3 rounds center mass and he dropped to the floor. he was still alive, coherent, but paralyzed. he asked why i'd killed him. even while dying, his first instinct was to lie. he explained that he was just a concerned neighbor coming to check things out after he saw a burglar. then, as he started to fade, he said he was trying to change his life. i kept my weapon trained on him, and stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher until the first LEO arrived.

the first LEO came around the corner with weapon drawn, i motioned to come on in, and he did. i placed my weapon on safe, put it out of reach of anyone, and assisted/cooperated with them as best as i could. this was my first major dealing with any LEO's besides a traffic ticket. i have to say that these guys and gals from the Richmond County Sherrif's Office were extremely professional, courteous, and calming. the medics were johnny-on-the spot as well. they both arrived quickly, and took charge of the situation with clear heads even though there was another shooting happening a few blocks away at the same time. you see a lot of skepticism when it comes to police in the world today, but i'm glad these guys are out there and on our side.

the burglar was carrying a false identity, but they later discovered him to be my next door neighbor's son, a 29 year old convict out on parole. he died within the hour after arriving at a local hospital. investigators searched his house and found my weapons and other items that were stolen (checkbooks, watch, camcorder, etc.). they also found drugs in his room (no, they were not mine as the paper vaguely made it seem). i had all my belongings back before the night was over.

lesson 1: BG's can come in your house any time of day. apparently they don't just sneak in at 2 a.m or when you are out of town anymore.

lesson 2: get a CCW and always carry. i didn't have a CCW permit at the time, and it could have cost me my life if i'd come home just a few minutes earlier. those guns that i kept around to protect me couldn't because of my lack of foresight. i now carry 24/7 unless i'm on post (where it's not allowed). even at home i either carry or always have a weapon within arms length.

lesson 3: use a safe(s). before they found my weapons, i worried that my lack of security might allow some accomplice BG to be doing bad things to good people. i now have multiple safes and use them for all but my carry weapon.

lesson 4: know the law. i didn't. even though it's probably not something you'll stop to think about in a life threatening situation, it's the responsible thing to do as a gun owner and a good citizen. i found myself wondering if i'd be one of those stories you hear about where they turn the victim into the criminal. fortunately for me the LEO's present assured me that i was within my rights, and said they'd have done the same thing i did. for those wondering, GA law has a castle doctrine that extends to all 4 corners of the yard.

lesson 5: always keep that cell phone on ya. they come in handy.

lesson 6: it was a brady bunch gun that kept me safe in my time of need. its folding stock was extemely important in allowing me to multi-task and CQC maneuver through the halls. the 30 round magazine was not abused...only 3 shots fired.

lesson 7: this wasn't the first time i'd seen what 7.62x39 can do, but it was the first time i'd seen it outgoing instead of incoming. it's good to know it works both ways. it's definitely an effective home defense round. however...be conscious of your backplane. these went completely through a body, the metal of a screen door, and into a wooden deck floor before coming to rest.

#12 ·
WoW :shock:

This incident is just incredible. I'm glad you made it through!

Thank you for your service to our country and to your community.

Pasted below is the media's take on the whole incident. The name of the real victim in this case has been remove to protect his identity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 3, 2007

AUGUSTA, Ga.---Neighbors of Army Cpt. XXX say he had the right to protect himself after an intruder broke into his home and stole his property.

XXX shot 29-year-old Errol Royal at least twice in the stomach. Royal later died.

Under the Stand Your Ground law in Georgia, the soldier won't face any charges...and some of his neighbors say he shouldn't anyway, because he was protecting what's rightfully his.

"I can't understand even the first time," said XXX's neighbor Dilbert Lloyd. "All it is, is somebody out there that don't have a job, and don't want to get up and go to work, and take what other people have worked so hard in their life and struggled for."

Dilbert describes the young Army officer as a hardworking, peaceful neighbor who takes pride in his property.

"I've seen him work continuously in his yard, and landscaping, because it is a nice neighborhood and we all want to keep it that way."

That's one of the reasons Dilbert believes his neighbor was justified in shooting 29-year-old Errol Royal.

Investigators say Royal burglarized the young Army officer's home yesterday, and then returned to the home in an attempt to steal more items. Tthat's when XXX shot him with a semi-automatic rifle.

"I tell my son and daughter and wife, 'Always be aware of your surroundings, because you don't know what is going to happen'," Dilbert said.

"I think anybody would react the same way to protect themselves, their family or their property," said Bruce Burns.

Bruce, Erica and Zoey burns just moved to the area. While the family is shocked that this happened so close to them, they say anyone in the neighborhood could have been the target.

"We just moved here," Bruce said. "Everyone seems real nice, so I don't think we regret moving here. It could happen anywhere."

"I think it's a good neighborhood regardless," said Erica. "Bad things happen anywhere."

Because it could have happened anywhere, Dilbert Lloyd has this message for XXX.

"Keep the strength up. What you did is right to protect your property and yourself, because you didn't know what the outcome was going to be. And God bless you and good will to you."

Police searched Royal's home on Ramblewood Drive after the shooting and found two of XXX's guns.

The Stand Your Ground law is a statute that allows the use of deadly force to defend against forcible unlawful entry or attack. These bills significantly expand the boundaries of legal self-defense by eliminating a person's "duty to retreat" from an invader or assailant in certain cases.

From WRDW Channel 12

#13 ·
phaed said:
he opened my back porch (enclosed) door and came inside. he then made his way to the door into my den (where i was in the dark) and began to open it. as he was coming in, i told dispatch i had to assume he was still armed, and that i was going to have to shoot. i placed 3 rounds center mass and he dropped to the floor. he was still alive, coherent, but paralyzed. he asked why i'd killed him. even while dying, his first instinct was to lie. he explained that he was just a concerned neighbor coming to check things out after he saw a burglar. then, as he started to fade, he said he was trying to change his life. i kept my weapon trained on him, and stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher until the first LEO arrived.
When I read this for the first time, this is were it got uber-creepy for me

#14 ·
phaed said:
then, as he started to fade, he said he was trying to change his life.
Yes, another future neurologist or astronaut lost to gun violence. How tragic (sigh)... :wink:

#15 ·
Wow. Thanks for cross-posting that phaed.

You mentioned that it was your next door neighbor's son that tried to rob you, is it difficult living next to them now? Or do they understand their kid was a thief and that is one of the risks of the job.

#19 ·
AeroShooter said:
phaed said:
Yeah...kind of hit home for me too.

Thanks for sharing this information phaed. Good to know the 7.62 does the job and the folding stock was instrumental in clearing your home. I'm picking up my underfolder in the next few days...its been on layaway too long.

#20 ·
pro2am said:
AeroShooter said:
phaed said:
Yeah...kind of hit home for me too.

Thanks for sharing this information phaed. Good to know the 7.62 does the job and the folding stock was instrumental in clearing your home. I'm picking up my underfolder in the next few days...its been on layaway too long.
I don't have an underfolder, but my dad wants one. He's probably going to get a few things before the election.

#21 ·
You mentioned that it was your next door neighbor's son that tried to rob you, is it difficult living next to them now? Or do they understand their kid was a thief and that is one of the risks of the job.
i've never spoken to them, nor they to me. the LEO's on site said the parents were mature people who had been put through a lot by their son, and didn't expect any problems from them. there have been none.

the only things remotely negative that i've heard of were 2nd hand from media message boards, and in the media itself. one alleged family member gave the typical "he was turning his life around" speech. one alleged friend talked some smack about retribution. other alleged friends/family wondered why i couldn't just wound him instead of killing him.

Out of curiosity, are you a member of GCO
no sir. i just recently learned about this board, and don't even know what GCO is, but i'll look into it now.

I saw you the same day buying a pistol at the range
i remember you. accent? i got my pistols back, but GBI still has my sks. the investigator believes i'll get it back, but they are taking their time. this incident resparked my interest in firearms. i've bought quite a few since. i try to stop, but the little bastards keep following me home from the fun store.

#23 ·
:shock:
Phaed, thanks for sharing that with us.
We all read posts all day about "X" happened to "Y". It puts things in a different light when you can read something & and say, this guy is one of us. Our tiny (though growing) little group of people and one of us that's not LEO has been in the middle of the SHTF.

#24 ·
phaed, glad to read that you were able to stop the burglar and came to no harm yourself. I have been home while someone was breaking into my home and it is an unnerving experience to say the least.

An especial thanks for your service as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.