Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18164

A twenty two year old man had to cop a plea to keep his mother and other family members from going to jail on remand. Talbert Mena was charged along with his mother and four others after police executed a search warrant yesterday afternoon, at 42 Lawrence Avenue, Apartment number three and found a single round of RG brand 9 millimeter caliber ammunition hidden in a suitcase tucked under a bed. Magistrate Dorothy Flowers accepted Mena's guilty plea and dismissed the charges against the other five persons who were in the apartment at the time of the search.

And for that single round of ammunition, he will spend a considerable two years in jail.
:shock:

... and in other reports.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18130

Major Bust In Ladyville
posted (October 29, 2010)

There are reports to our news room that a large weapons and ammunition bust was made in the Ladyville area yesterday. Details are still sketchy but from what we understand - Ladyville police visited a home behind the Vista del Mar area where they found a 9mm pistol along with a point 380 pistol with ammunition for both guns - along with a large amount of marijuana. We understand 4 adults including a female and 2 minors were detained by police…
Wow, two pistols some ammo and a few pounds of pot... that's major. :lol: (http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18144)

I heard a report on the radio this morning about a new tunnel they just found from Mexico in the US that had lights, rail system etc... and 25 tons of pot. :shock:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can understand the charges under the circumstances but I must ask what state is this and I didn't know it was illegal to own ammunition or guns unless you are a convicted felon. In my house they won't find any stolen goods or pot, but they would dam sure find alot of ammo. :lol:

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not in the US... Belize, Central America.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wow, I wonder what the police in Belize would charge me with if they searched my apartment. I would probably be sentenced to death.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
JMJ2 said:
I can understand the charges under the circumstances but I must ask what state is this and I didn't know it was illegal to own ammunition or guns unless you are a convicted felon. In my house they won't find any stolen goods or pot, but they would dam sure find alot of ammo. :lol:

Formerly British Honduras.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was looking at countries to visit or maybe retire to, after reading about the lack of rights that a foreigner has there, and the midnight "raids" by police, I decided no way. Besides it's way too close to Mexico and their problems.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
groats said:
Good thing they got that 9mm round - maybe next year, Belize's murder rate won't be SEVEN TIMES that of the US!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
That's what strict "gun control" will get you. The criminals get to kill at will using guns, knives, bats, or their bare hands for that matter, and there is a little a law abiding person could do to protect themselves.

I think a lot of the countries down there have strict "gun control." It hasn't worked well for the citizens of any of those countries. The drug cartels and other criminals kill at will, and sometimes the police are so corrupt, they aren't must help. You couldn't pay me millions to be in some of those countries.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another one... 4 people arrested for possession of 1 round of .22 (LR?) ammo, and no bail.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=19217

The gang suppression unit also scored between 6:30 and 7:30 yesterday evening when a search warrant was executed at the residence of 20 year old fisherman Clarence JONES at 41 youth for the future drive in the Conch Shell Bay area. They found a single round of point 22 ammunition and arrested Jones along with four male minors between the ages of 14 and 17 and charged them with Kept Ammunition without a gun license.

In court today, they all pleaded not guilty to the charge - but Magistrate Albert Hoare explained to them that the court cannot offer them bail because it is a firearm offence. He remanded them until April 21st.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
pml said:
I was looking at countries to visit or maybe retire to, after reading about the lack of rights that a foreigner has there, and the midnight "raids" by police, I decided no way. Besides it's way too close to Mexico and their problems.
Have you looked at Panama? I heard that firearms including EBR's are ok there. I think you have to get a permit but allegedly it's not that hard to get.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today's WTF report from Belize:

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=20028

Entire Family Remanded for Live Rounds
posted (July 4, 2011)

Similarly everyone at a home was arrested when police discovered 4 cartridges under a septic tank at a house at 76 Neal's Pen Road on July first, has resulted in the arrest of 6 adults and 3 minors who were present at the time. The adults are 24 year old Alrick Oliveria, 22 year old Byron James, 22 year old Kenrick Oliveria, 31 year old Melanie Myers, 20 year old Albert Bowen and 50 year old Yvonne Myers.

They were all charged with kept ammunition without a gun license when they appeared today in the magistrate's court. Alrick Oliveria wanted to plead guilty to the charge to the charge but his plea was not accepted.

They were all remanded into custody until July 25.
Can you imagine that?!

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=20126

Security Guard Remanded For A Single Live Round
posted (July 15, 2011)

A security guard is in jail tonight because of a single round of ammunition that was found in his home.

Thirty three year old Errol Pollard, a part time security guard of 65 West Canal Street was charged with kept ammunition without a gun license. Pollard pleaded not guilty but it's automatic remand - even for only one round and Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser sent him into custody until August 31.

Police searched his home around 2 yesterday morning and found one live 9 millimeter bullet inside a drawer in his bedroom.
I guess he wasn't professional enough.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I guess that Ray Bradbury wasn't that far off with Fahrenheit 451...

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two more stories from Belize: http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=22961

First, the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU) managed to get some weapons of mass destruction off the street! (whew!)
According to the GSU, Last week Thursday, at around 3:40 p.m. a GSU team conducted a search of an overgrown lot on Vernon Street, which is beind Cox Tire Shop. As a result, the officers found 1 empty M-16 magazine which is used for M-16 assault rifles, and a homemade firearm.

From the officer's observation, they believe that the firearm is adapted to discharge 12-gauge cartridges. Both items were found under an old mattress on the property. No one was in the area.
When the officers approached Clarke, he took out a firearm from his waist and threw it into a nearby drain. The officers detained him, and in his presence, the retrieved a 9mm Walther PPK pistol, which was loaded with 3 live rounds of 9mm ammunition, and 2 live rounds of .380 ammunition.

Clark was arrested and charged with keeping a firearm without a gun license, and keeping ammunition without a gun license.

Clarke, who was unrepresented, appeared before Magistrate Hettie Mae- Stuart. He pleaded not guilty to both charges but due to the nature of the offences, he was denied bail and remanded to Prison until August 16.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And another WTF moment in Belize - http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=22908

Entire Family Remanded For Ammunition

43 year-old Romie Anthony, her son, 24 year-old Amir Anthony, and her 14 year-old daughter are all on remand tonight after they were taken to the Magistrate's Court for unlicensed ammunition.

According to police, on last week Friday, July 6, they searched the Anthony residence at #7796 Lacroix Boulevard. When the officers checked the flooring of the house, they found three 16-gauge shotgun cartridges in a black plastic bag, and as a result, they charged all 3 family members with keeping unlicensed ammunition.
No bail granted, in the slammer for 30 days until the judge can see them.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did someone say they wanted to retire there? http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=22339

John McCafee is a wealthy US investor who has retired in Belize and splits his time between homes in San Pedro and Orange Walk.

You may know has name from the McAfee Virus Scan, one of the first anti-virus programs for personal computers.

But neither his famous name nor his status as a wealthy investor spared the 66 year old from the indignity of an aggressive GSU search of his Orange Walk Estate on Monday morning.

<snip>

The search started at 6:00 am - and he says the first thing the GSU did was shoot and kill one of his dogs, Caramelo. After that, he says they broke down doors and ransacked the nine houses on the estate.

The unit was looking for weapons - and McAfee had plenty of them: 7 shotguns and two nine millimeter pistols - which he says are licensed to his personal security company. But, it didn't matter, McAfee says he and 12 employees were still handcuffed for an extended period.

<snip>
John McaFee - Raided by GSU (Via Telephone) said:
"At 6 o'clock in the morning, the GSU - I think the entire contingent - and a number of BDF soldiers - a total of 65 in all - surrounded the compound, burst through the gates, and put all of us in handcuffs. They said that they had a warrant to search the premises. I remained in handcuffs for 14 hours, outside the whole time, without food. None of us had food. There were about 12 people who were handcuffed which included a number of women, and BDF broke down doors, confiscated property - including my American passport - and at the end of the day, they charged me with a firearm violation. The GSU was brutal and uncooperative. They broke down doors; they completely ransacked many of the houses on the compound. Items are missing. I am sorry; this is unacceptable in a country that is supposed to be civilized in a democracy. I have donated to the police department alone, over 2 million dollars' worth of goods in the past 2 years. I have done a tremendous amount of work to clean up Carmelita, to provide food for school children - any number of things. And to be treated this way, after I have acted in such a fashion, makes me think twice about investing anything else here."
And while he is accusing the GSU, that unit is making no apologies - in fact they are pointing the finger right back at him.

<snip>

During the search ten firearms - seven 12 gauge pump action shotguns, one 12 gauge single action shotgun, one Taurus 9mm pistol and one 9MM CZ pistol - were found. Five air rifles with scopes resembling sniper rifles that use 6.26 mm slugs were also found and two hundred and seventy 12 gauge cartridges, thirty 9 mm rounds and twenty .38 rounds.

<snip>

The GSU says, McAfee produced a Company firearm licence for all the above firearms except one of the 9 MilliMeter pistols.

Checks were then made with the senior officer with responsibility for firearms and explosives at Belmopan Police Headquarters who verified that no records appeared for a firearms licence for that firearm to McAfee.

Still, the GSU says McAfee was later released after producing a license for the firearm to the Police. It is still under investigation as no such licence has yet been found in the records at Police Headquarters

Additionally, analysts at the Forensic Laboratory, and personnel from the Ministry of Health were taken to inspect the facility and samples of an alleged antibiotic apparently being manufactured at the Laboratory were taken for analysis. The Ministry of Health has already confirmed that no licence has been granted to McAFEE or any of his agents to manufacture antibiotics in Belize. Doing so without a licence is an offence under the Antibiotics Act. A decision as to whether or not charges will be laid will be taken by the Ministry within the next few days when the report of the Forensic Analyst becomes available.

Investigation regarding the employment of the security guards revealed that only two out of the four guards are licensed to act as Security Guards.

And there are charges; MICHAEL, ALLEN and DOMINGUEZ were arrested and charged for "providing security services without a license".

The GSU says McAFEE did have $19,650.00 in cash in his bedroom and say it was counted and secured by him.

<snip>

The GSU adds that 2 months ago, a Special Police team attempted to conduct a similar search on McAFEE's premises but were prevented from doing so.

The unit says the search at McAFEE's premises was based solely on information about supposed illegal activities being conducted there. McAfee says it was to settle a political vendetta from a politician whom he would not give a donation to.
Make enough laws an everyone is a criminal.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even the cops aren't professional enough! http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=21784

7news has been closely following the case of the Special Branch Corporal, Gino Peck, who was busted on January 21 with an illegal ammunition cache at his Currasow Street residence by the GSU. After a 3 week power struggle between GSU and the Police Department's Eastern Division, he was finally arraigned today for charges which were prepared since January 23.
<snip>

As a result, Chief Magistrate Smith dismissed all charges against Loretta and read 3 charges to Peck. He has to answer to two counts of keeping unlicensed ammunition for five rounds of .38 ammunition and 22 cartridges for a 12 gauge shotgun, and one count of keeping prohibited ammunition for 1 round of .45 ammunition.

Due to the nature of the offenses, he couldn't be granted bail at the Magistrate's level.

<snip>

Peck has hired the services of attorney Simeon Sampson, so it is likely that a bail hearing on his behalf will be scheduled as soon as it is practicable in the Supreme Court.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
HydroAuto said:
Make enough laws an everyone is a criminal.
“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.†-Ayn Rand

We are there in America now.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Old J. McAfee has a 17 yr old girlfriend, he's 65+

What's he got that I don't ?]
Well I've got more guns and ammo than he does.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
1 round of ammunition!?!??!!!!??!?!?!

:panic:

HELP! This madman might kill us all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts