It almost happened again.

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by MesaCranker, May 26, 2017.

1. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Almost shot my neighbor's dog, which was trying to attack my two chihuahuas as I was taking them outside to go potty. My neighbor has a golden retriever, ironically named Angel. This dog has ran my mother up onto the porch, almost attacked her dog, and is never on a leash. This guy is a lawyer. He knows better. And he knows I always carry. Now, he knows I always mean business. As I was in front of my house with my dogs which were both on leashes even though we were in my yard. I heard his garage door open so I started leading my dogs to the other side of the house so his dog couldn't see them. I didn't have enough time and the retriever shot out from underneath the garage door straight at me and my dogs. It was about four feet away barking, raising hell, hair up on its back and I had it at gunpoint while yelling for my neighbor to get his damn dog NOW or I was going to shoot it. It came VERY close. I had taken the slack out of the trigger and about another pound of pressure, the dog would have been dead. After what seemed like five minutes, probably more like ten seconds, he gets the dog's attention and grabs it by the nape of the neck and leads it back into his house. Me, still full of adrenaline, yell at him to buy a f*****g leash or next time he'd be burying his dog. This guy is a lawyer. He knows better.

I've had to shoot and kill another dog while I was on duty with Rockdale SO when a pit bull was attacking an old lady. Even though I was justified I still felt terrible because I love dogs. I looked around that yard and saw childrens' toys and all I could think about was that I had just killed someone's dog... their best friend. I love animals and I don't wanna hurt them but if it comes down to either mine or another aggressive animal, I'm sorry but I love my pups too much. They're like my kids.

Moral of the story, just always carry when you're taking your animals out to go potty. You never know what could happen. Thankfully I was carrying my Glock 19 in a shoulder holster and had practiced with it enough to be able to quickly draw it and get it on target. I honestly don't even remember actually drawing... but I don't remember it the other time either. Anyone that's been in a high adrenaline situation will know what I'm talking about. As I walked them back inside I could feel my knees shaking. Got them back inside and loved on em for a while.

2. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

As a contractor I've been confronted many times, bitten twice. I'm not saying I would never shoot a dog, but I've never drawn on one. Using completely made up stats, 95% of the time the aggression is a bluff. 4% of the time it will result in a non-life threatening bite to a grown adult. 1% of the time you're facing an actual threat of great bodily harm. One on one I'd engage most dogs physically before going lethal.

Prevention is the best cure. Sounds like you need to light him up with some OC so he learns that two legged animals bite too.

Anyway, glad everyone is ok. Confrontations like that are always scary.

Last edited: May 26, 2017

3. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

I think I'd try to kick it at least once before resorting to my handgun, unless it was too mean and vicious looking. I agree with MesaCranker, all dogs need to be on a leash, and most places have some type of ordinance that require it. It's simply careless of owners to allow their uncontrollable dogs to run loose.

4. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

how sad for you and the dog. the neighbor? not so much... I agree with Phillip. I think I'd have to actually be bitten before I would take a dog, unless it's a large aggressive breed.

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

The chihuahuas would not stand a chance to a single bit from a large breed dog.

6. AzB

AzB Active Member

I'm amazed at the number of knuckleheads that allow their poorly trained dogs run free at the park. I don't worry too much about it as my dog is well trained and big enough to take care of herself should another dog attack, but I do sometimes fear for the smaller dogs.

We did have a small toy poodle/something come after us a couple weeks ago. The owners had it off leash (my dog was on leash) and they picked it up as we neared them and set it back down as we passed. It then proceeded to come straight at us from behind barking and snarling. I stood between it and my dog, who was totally unconcerned to the point of ignoring it, and held out my hand and said "no" in a loud, deep, firm voice. The dog not only stopped, but sat. The owners were amazed and told me they'd never been able to get the dog to do anything.

My point is that as Phillip said, most of the time it's not really viciousness. A gun is rarely the best or only solution. But having been bit before, it is frustrating to deal with, especially with peoplenty not taking responsibility for thier dogs these days.

Good luck with your neighbor and I hope things don't escalate.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I have a dog with poor socialization skills. She is a rescue so she came with baggage. We have had professional training and improved things, but she has a fear-aggression response with other dogs. We don't let her out at all without a leash.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Had a pitbull attack my daughter some years ago when my wife was adamantly opposed to carry "around the children". I was unarmed. My daughter was saved by my son with his cap pistol (startled the dog) and got away. The incident convinced my wife that carrying "around the children" isn't evil after all. I would not hesitate to shoot a dog, mine or anyone else's, if it was attacking a person.

9. AzB

AzB Active Member

My dog was rescue and had the same problems, it was severe and I couldn't even walk her. Structure and advocating for her so she knew I would take care of any altercations, like in my previous post took care of the insecurity. It took a few months, but she finally started trusting me and is much more calm and happy.

Good luck, and if you need any help let me know.

10. Feral

Feral Active Member

Is your daughter okay?

11. wee

wee Member

On a slight side note....If you are ever faced with an attacking dog, a can of soda, beer or any carbonated beverage shook up and sprayed in their face will stop them for a few seconds....Maybe long enough to get away or get your leg/arm or small dog out of their jaws. A well placed bullet will work also and I wouldn't hesitate to do just that if I had to.

Brian

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yes, thanks. Still afraid of big dogs after years but she got away with only some bite marks on her upper arm. That same day a child the same age as my daughter was killed in DeKalb by another pitbull. We were very fortunate.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Glad she's ok, kids and big dogs can get ugly fast. I have a funny dog bite story. When I was a teenager we were cutting through a neighbors yard. I fell straddle the fence, then fell back into the yard. As I lay there groaning in agony, their little 10# mutt runs over, latches onto my jeans, and begins thrashing his head like a police K9. 40 year latter I still gotta give the little :cantsay: kudos for having courage and protecting his people.

14. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I like dogs too but I wouldn't have felt bad about that at all. It probably would have attacked one of the kids eventually. I think you handled the neighbor situation good. Some people need to be told in clear terms that allow no misunderstanding.

15. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

Carry a little can of dog mace. It stops them quick and is alot easier to explain

16. AzB

AzB Active Member

I watched a documentary about the training of combat and police dogs. One of the parts of training was for the trainer to don a gas mask, and both to enter the gas booth. It was explained that dogs have a third eyelid that can close instantly and it protects their eyes from tear gas and they suffer no effects.

I've never heard of this before or since, but those dogs surely had no distress from the training.

And I've heard from several sources that say both that pepper spray works and that it doesn't work on dogs. Anyone with any first hand knowledge about this?

I have deterred a few dogs with ammonia and water in a spray bottle before. But that's not a normal thing to carry around.

17. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I'm not going to use a kick to offer a dog my leg or foot to bite, unless for some strange reason I don't have a gun with me.

I will not offer a dog a bite of me anywhere to keep from shooting it. When those are the only two choices, the poor dog will just have take lead instead of flesh.

18. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I have drawn my pistol twice, and both times I held my fire because I love animals. The first was two loud dogs chasing me on my bike, and I could not see them at first. Once I saw them, they were just too little to shoot, and I was finally able to outrun them, but those little suckers were fast as lightening.

The second time, both dogs backed down.

And I can relate about the adrenaline.

19. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Consider a smaller front sight blade:)