• I owe $90k-150k

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I owe more than 150k

Votes: 7 14.3%
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
We owe about 114,000, but had to defer payments this past year due to Covid and my work situation being iffy at best at times. We are paying an extra 150.00 a month on the principle, its not much but it helps. We paid 155,000 and financed 125,000 of that 4 years ago. The house next to ours which is very similar just sold for 220,000. We contemplate selling and using the profit for a large downpayment on another house, but I hate moving and we like where we live.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Be very careful of the camper deal. My wife and I did that on my first retirement in 2001 , lasted 6 years before she HAD to have a real home again. Now I am retired again and still have 10 years to pay in the new house.
Those thoughts are what keep us from doing it. We will probably just stick to traveling 1-2 months at a time.

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Probably "paid off" folks are more likely to click... the good 'ol "Internet flex". Too bad this forum doesn't have a post counter so we know how many people have visited the post (or maybe moderators can see it/)

That said, ~37% of homeowners nationally have no mortgage (again, in spite of exceptions, I would say *generally* that's older folks), so while 50% is considerably higher, maybe it's reflective of the kind of responsible gun owners who participate in this site.

DH
If you click on New Posts or Recent Posts and look at this one, there should be a column with views - 616 as of now. Obviously very few of those views clicked on a poll option, 37 as of now. That is a 6% response rate. 94% could not be bothered.

Of course, views is not accurate, as I could come here and view it 400 times by myself and drive the views over 1000. I cannot tell how many forum users have viewed it.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
If you click on New Posts or Recent Posts and look at this one, there should be a column with views - 616 as of now. Obviously very few of those views clicked on a poll option, 37 as of now. That is a 6% response rate. 94% could not be bothered.

Of course, views is not accurate, as I could come here and view it 400 times by myself and drive the views over 1000. I cannot tell how many forum users have viewed it.
I keep checking it because I'm curious where I fall in the distribution.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,361 Posts
In GA, you'll never own your home free and clear. Once the mortgage is paid you'll still have to cover the lease payments to the government
Looking at it that way, I don't think you ever really own anything in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
15 years ago my father-in-law gifted my wife & I $20k each. He wanted us to buy stocks with it. Instead I paid off the mortgage. It pissed him off so much he stopped gifting us at all. Paying off my mortgage cost us $40k per year for the last 15 years. He is 94 and still going & hasn't forgiven me yet.

...I wish I was still paying on my mortgage!!!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Looking at it that way, I don't think you ever really own anything in the U.S.
Is there another way to look at it? My neighbors have owned 300 acres here in Bartow County since 1880s. It has passed through 3 generations. The lady passed a few years ago at 95 and left the property to her two sons. They sell tracts off piece by piece so as to afford the taxes on the remaining property and small home. Both sons are in their 70s and were not prepared for the significant tax bill that increased exponentially at the changing of hands. The state might as well own the property as there will be nothing left soon enough for grandchildren to receive.

Bartow doesn't have a school tax exemption for seniors

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
I think you're better off now without those years of controlling and meddling in your life. JMHO

15 years ago my father-in-law gifted my wife & I $20k each. He wanted us to buy stocks with it. Instead I paid off the mortgage. It pissed him off so much he stopped gifting us at all. Paying off my mortgage cost us $40k per year for the last 15 years. He is 94 and still going & hasn't forgiven me yet.

...I wish I was still paying on my mortgage!!!

Reactions: MaricopaKid

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Is there another way to look at it? My neighbors have owned 300 acres here in Bartow County since 1880s. It has passed through 3 generations. The lady passed a few years ago at 95 and left the property to her two sons. They sell tracts off piece by piece so as to afford the taxes on the remaining property and small home. Both sons are in their 70s and were not prepared for the significant tax bill that increased exponentially at the changing of hands. The state might as well own the property as there will be nothing left soon enough for grandchildren to receive.

Bartow doesn't have a school tax exemption for seniors
https://www.bartowga.org/departments/tax_assessor/faq.php
The Bartow tax assessor says otherwise.

·
68,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
:bump:

Only 41 votes??? :-?

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
I probably would not have voted if I were not so close to paying my house off. :smile:

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Paid off mine in 2007. Just before Washington mutual went bankrupt. I was so glad I was not caught in that. With my health issues, we would’ve never made it these last five years if we would’ve had a house payment.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

·
7 Year Member
337 Posts
I have never had a mortgage. I just dislike borrowing money.

Reactions: phantoms
41 - 60 of 60 Posts