Is this crazy?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by viper32cm, Jan 25, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

As has been often repeated around here, a lot of probate judges aren't lawyers. While I generally despise the level of penetration lawyers have obtained in government I genuinelly think that judges should have to be lawyers.

How much of a battle would it be to introduce a law that required probate judges to be lawyers or maybe as a back up required that the ballot computer listed whether or not they were lawyers. I'm quite sure few people know about this and most everyone I tell is shocked when they find out so I think at a minimum the disclosure requirement would get a lot of non-lawyers out of office.

Or am I crazy and would this hurt us?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Leaving aside the question of whether non-lawyers should be refereeing questions relating to trusts and estates for the moment, I believe a better solution would be to take the licensing issue away from probate judges. I would also like to see it not performed by any police agencies.

Perhaps, like Florida, we could have the Department of Agriculture do it? They seem to be doing an admirable job down there.

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I agree, with you on the Dept of Ag point, but it does seem a little off for students to agonize over an 8 hour exam in T&E and then have to plead cases in front of a person who didn't even take contracts :D

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

MP, do you think taking local control away and putting that power in a central authority would be more beneficial?

I am always wary of taking away local control and giving it to a central power.

5. Malum Prohibitum

In this case, yes. The problem is not the result in this case of too much centralization. The problem is that it is the judges who are issuing. The same thing often happens when issuing is left to police agencies (SLED in SC is a good example).

Judges, especially, are not in the habit of being responsive to anyone, regardless of this idea that they are nominally "elected."

6. Foul

Foul New Member

Get rid of their sovereign immunity and they might change pretty quickly.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Other than the law, there is no "higher authority" than the probate judge when it comes to the Georgia Firearms License.