Is this considered a renewal or new application?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by hi-impact, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hi-impact

hi-impact New Member

When I apply for my renewal it will be in a county different than my original permanent license was issued in because I now live in a different county.

My question is: Given this situation, is this considered a renewal or new application?

I'm assuming it will be a renewal and not a new application regardless of the renewal or original issue county was, but I want get confirmation.

Thanks in advance.

2. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

It’s a renewal.

3. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

permanent?

The GWCL is a state license, not a County one. As such, and per the OCGA, it is a renewal.

From 16.11.129(a)
    ....An application shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the applicant has a weapons carry license or renewal license with 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license or 30 or fewer days since the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license regardless of the county of issuance of the applicant's expired or expiring weapons carry license or renewal license....

Also, make sure to spend the $1 and get the temp license for the time you wait on the renewal to come.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Isn't 5 years sort of permanent? :mrgreen:

5. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

I'm not in Dekalb anymore (thank the lord), so this would apply to me as well. Glad to hear that I won't have to start over.