Is this a dumb combo?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by MrMorden, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Okay, I have been trying to figure out what optic to put on my paratrooper (folding stock, 18" barrel) FAL for a while now. My ARs are set up for MOUT-type fighting (iron sights / Aimpoint, 16" barrels), so I wanted to do something a little different. I finally landed on a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm scope and QD throw lever mount, which shipped today.

Let me have it, is this a dumb combo? I know the 18" barrel and para stock are not going to make it ideal for long range, and the FAL is not the perfect tack driver to begin with. My goal is to get fairly easy hits on a man-sized target out to 500+ meters, and be able to quickly switch to a closer range configuration (hence the QD mount).

The bonus is my FAL has a flat top dust cover, so I can move the scope and Aimpoints back and forth between the FAL and ARs as needed.

Thoughts?

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

No, I don't think it is a dumb combo at all for what it is. Its all in what you wanted to spend, and for the price, that's not a bad combo to hit man-sized targets out to 500m, with the ability to come in close if you had to.

3. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

The zero will change between guns, each needs it's own.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Even though the mechanical accuracy of your paratrooper battle carbine is not like a sniper rifle, having a magnifying crosshair scope on it will let you realize its true potential.
    I would think that you could double the effective range-- the distance at which you could make a "one shot kill" 90% of the time--- by using a real rifle scope over irons.

Red dot scopes are a middle ground. Faster than a crosshair magnifying scope, but less precise.

But if I were to engage bad guys at 200 yards or longer, I'd want a crosshair scope with at least some magnification, even if it were just 3X or 4X.

5. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I realize I would have to re-zero when switching.

6. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Why not mount a mini red dot like an H-1 or T-1 to the top or side of the scope? I have seen lots of British troops use that setup in afghanistan.

7. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I have the AR for that kind of fighting...I want something with some more reach.

8. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

you said you wanted to reach out to 500 yards with the ability to switch to up close optics. Scope for 500 yards, piggyback an aimpoint H1 and you got instant switch to close optics with nothing to remove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]