Is there anyway to get a G28

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by glockgirl, Apr 5, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

so all you glock fans is there anyway to get a G28 (.380) in the US? I know it can't be imported but is there anyway to get it at all??? Or should I just get a kel-tec .32 or .380?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The .380 Glocks are only available to LEOs with authorization on dept letterhead, and it still must be purchased by the dept not the officer. For a small (but not too small) .380 I like my Walther PPK/S. Bullseye in Cumming has a Kel-Tec P11 9mm for $300 if you want a small 9mm.

http://www.kel-tec.com/p11.html

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

why is it not legal in the US?

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

doesn't meet the stupid math formula for import purposes. seems like when I saw the formula it was basically being punished for being a lightweight quality small gun.... ARGH

Can you buy a gun overseas and bring it home with you??? I have lots of relatives in germany and may go visit them sometime.

i think I really want it because I can't get it... Always want what I can't have......

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

[​IMG]

Here's the points list. I'm still looking for the number of points required to be imported. And by the way, you can't buy one in Germany and bring it in. Sorry. :(

Edited to add: 75 points are required to be brought in. A 26 barely squeaks by at 75 exactly.

6. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I think it missed the points score by 1 point....

I want another glock but I really don't like the larger calibers. Guess kel-tec will be my best bet....

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Arbitrary, Illogical

So all other factors being equal, large-caliber handguns are more easily importable than small caliber ones? That is stupid. Totally stupid. How is that related to safety? If you want to distinguish between hunting guns and combat guns, you can't tell by the caliber. You'd have to look at accuracy. A .22 makes a great small game gun, but a .45 acp isn't a good choice for hunting anything. A .45 acp could be a good target pistol, though, but then so could a .32. Yet the .32 is strongly disfavored and the .45 gets a bunch of points in this rating system?

Oh, maybe the caliber restrictions were meant to discourage small guns? Well if "small guns" are what you're after, why not just delete all references to caliber and go with overall size. Height, width, and length. The factors that make a gun concealable.

This rating system ought to be struck down by the courts as lacking even a rational relationship to the purpose for which it was intended (to keep poor blacks from arming themselves).

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Find yourself a LEO and see if they can get one for ya.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Here is the score for a Glock 25.

Glock 25:
    Length (6.85") 3
    Weight (21.87oz) 20
    Caliber (.380) 3
    Blow-back mechanism 0
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2
    Total = 63

The 28 is smaller and would lose 2 more points for it's shorter length. With the new loaded chamber inducator that have been added to them, you can add 5 points, the 25 and 28 still fall short.

Glock makes the .380s primarily for non-us markets, where civilians are prohibited from owning "police or military" calibers, which are 9mm and higher.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=663679&highlight=glock+.380+import+points

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The point system does not apply to pistols manufactured here. They could easily produce them in the US plant. Why don't they. There is not as substantial market. the 28 is the same size and weight as a 26. Why carry a .380 when you can carry a 9mm in the same package. 9mm ammo even costs less than .380.

11. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I would like to see one.....GlockGirl if you have family that can get one....have them mail it over piece by piece over serveral weeks :D

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would venture to say that th einvestment required to make them here would be returned in sales. The Glock purists would buy them because they are Glocks, but other than that I don't see a good market for them here. Like you said they are the same size as a 26 and 19. I carry a .380 frequently, but my PPK/S is slimmer than either of the Glock .380s, as is the Bersa Thunder, Kel-Tec P3AT, and others. Most people that want a .380 for carry will probably want the slimmer ones or the pocket size.

13. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

You can buy one used, but I'm sure they're hard to come across as very few are bought by LEO's new.

The best experience I ever had shooting a .380 was the Beretta Cheetah:
    http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20019&gun=Pistol

It's definitely more expensive than the Kel-Tec, and heavier. But what a great trigger.

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I think the 28 is the same size as a 26. Why not just get a 26? Isn't your other glock a 9mm?

15. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

yep it is. g19. i think I am just going to save up for the kel tec. i really need a gun I can fit in my back/front pocket as I tend to wear shirts that won't cover up anything on my waist band.... guys have it made concealment wise. you can get away with loose jeans and untucked shirts.

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Rather than a .380, have you considered another caliber? I recently picked an FEG PA63 that shoots the 9mm Makarov cartridge. At 9 x 18, it's right in the middle between the .380's 9 x 17 and the 9mm parabellum's (Luger) 9 x 19. But the metal-framed pistols may be heavier and larger than you want.

Or there's the .32 ACP. The Beretta 3032 Tomcat seems to be a pretty decent firearm. It's approved for back-up and off-duty carry by the Metro Louisville PD.

Another .32 to consider might be the Kel-tec P32. Here's a link to a review. The last paragraph has links to other sites with info on the P32. For some reason, I couldn't copy that paragraph and the links. Once again, proving just how computer challanged I am...

http://www.a-human-right.com/p32/mousegun.html

Good luck with your quest GG. Let us know what you finally decide and how you like it and all that stuff.

17. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

If you really want a .380ACP Glock, (and this is bad advice) Then buy the G28 and then load it up with .380 instead of 9mm. The .380 will chamber and fire in a 9mm pistol (I've tried it in my Ruger P89), there just isn't enough over pressure from the .380 round firing to cycle a locked breech action like a 9mm pistol (which is why almost all .380 are blowback, with a few minor exceptions). So you would have to "rack the slide" after you fired each round.

Again this is bad advice and possibly dangerous since the .380 case doesn't seal completely in a 9mm chamber thus causing some gases to blowback around the case which could damage your 9mm pistol. But if you ever wondered or needed to fire a 380ACP round out of a 9mm, it can be done.

18. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i think it will be the kel tec .32 I have played around with one at the store and I am going to test fire a friend's husband's.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If a LE Agency gets one legitimately and then decides to sell the gun later, a civilian may buy the gun. This is correct to the best of my knowlege.

However, it is illegal for a LE Agency to order one just for the purpose of selling it to a civilian.

There are probably a FEW of these Glocks legally in the United States but I'm sure that they are valuable from a collectors point of view since they are hard to come by for civilians.

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Glockgirl, you may want to look at a Bersa Thunder 380. It was the first pistol I ever purchased. Easily concealable and a great little pistol. Has a lifetime warranty to boot. I paid $209 for mine. I sold it a couple of months ago because I never shot it anymore. Check them out at:

www.bersafirearmsusa.com