Is there a specified number of guns permissible with GWCL?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by hi-impact, May 7, 2018.

1. hi-impact

hi-impact New Member

I have read the GA code posted on this website and I see no prohibition to carrying more than one firearm on your person at a time. I was buying some ammo and was talking to the salesperson and he said he's a criminal justice major and it's illegal to carry more than one gun, in other words no backup gun.

My question is: Is it legal to carry a backup gun, in other words two guns on your person at a time?

I'm 99.9999% positive that it's legal to carry two or more guns with a GWCL, but I want confirmation from others here that may know something that I don't or that something has recently changed in the law/GA code that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance.

2. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Yep - 579 guns on you is the same legally as one gun, in GA.

That salesperson needs to study harder, or change majors.

Archangel and Scout706 like this.

3. hi-impact

hi-impact New Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to carry 580 guns then. LOL

Agreed. He probably needs to change majors because I don't want someone spreading false information about our gun rights.

4. Glockenator

You will often get dumb advice like that even from gun store counter people.

Maybe he just started in that degree. Bless his heart. :mrgreen:

Archangel likes this.
  5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Idiots gotta speak up, if only they would stay silent people might assume they're smart.

6. Glockenator

Quit talking about me like I'm not here. :mrgreen:

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

ROFLMAO

8. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Oh man - and here I thought it was a crime NOT to carry a backup gun...

hma153 likes this.
  9. hi-impact

hi-impact New Member

Here's an interesting side note. I asked my FFL the same question and he said he believes it's legal to carry two or more, but wanted to ask his friend who is a sheriff. He said the sheriff said it's legal, but why do you need a backup gun?

I said to my FFL, if it's legal then it's irrelevant if the sheriff agree or not with another persons need or want regarding backup gun or anything.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I would have asked if he and his deputies carry back-ups, and if so, why they need them?

Archangel and TimBob like this.
  11. hi-impact

hi-impact New Member

Exactly. Unfortunately, some people in law enforcement aren't as passionate about the 2nd amendment and RKBA than those that aren't in law enforcement as least when it comes to others gun rights.

I'm pro law enforcement, but it would be nice if they would understand the "common man" and not have a double standard.

Bill-Columbus likes this.
  12. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Lots of misinformation about GA gun laws out there. Law enforcement, gun store sales folk, DNR rangers, even lawyers, do not know the laws. Any time you hear someone say something that seems odd, ask them to quote the statute in the GA code (Official Code of Georgia Annotated, OCGA). Even then, you'll get know it alls who will say, "I don't have to look that up! I'm a (cop/lawyer/former cop) and I know better!" Smile, be polite, back away slowly, and move on. You're talking to an uninformed person.

13. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Yeah, you're right and he's wrong.
    Plenty of gun store clerks don't know gun laws.
    Because they never read them, either firsthand or even secondhand (hearsay) from a reliable source.

Instead, they get their info third and 4th-hand, with the story being exaggerated or important details lost along the way with each retelling.

But before you can say for sure that there isn't a law that forbids doing this or that with a gun, you really need to read a few dozen laws. Not just the main ones. Georgia is notorious for having laws dealing with the same topic many pages, even whole titles and chapters and volumes, apart from other laws on that same topic.
    What the legislature says you can do on page 500 might be prohibited on page 21, or page 1821. It takes a lot of reading to say with confidence that something is or isn't legal.

14. Speevl

Speevl Member

These gun counter “experts” always are peddling generational nonsense, dangerous advice, and false information. Yet people want their advice on what tool is most acceptable to protect their lives...

Archangel likes this.
  15. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

It's referred to as a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Plural. It covers handguns and knives (which many people tend to forget). The applicable statutes don't refer to any limitations on the number that can be carried.

16. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

Limited by one's ability to utilize them properly.

17. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

A license is required to carry openly. The GWCL is a carry license that covers carrying openly or concealed. That's another one that's often misconstrued.

18. Scout706

Scout706 Active Member

Don’t get legal advice from a cop, or a store clerk. Or an Internet Commando.

DonT likes this.
  19. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

As a gun store clerk and firearms instructor, I will offer my advice/opinions on the laws to students and customers. But always my first and last bits of advice, is for them to go to www.georgiacarry.org and READ those laws themselves.

Scout706, Speevl, moe mensale and 2 others like this.
  20. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

All the guns. You may carry all the guns.

Archangel, theyeti and MaricopaKid like this.