Is New Orleans Converting Anti Gunners?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From Clayton Cramer:

An Ounce of Experience Beats a Pound of Theory

An interesting quote from an article about Wal-Mart's decision to stop selling guns temporarily in the areas affected by hurricane Katrina:
    Smaller stores are eagerly filling the void. Spillway Sportsman, near Baton Rouge, sold 172 guns in one three-day period after the hurricane, when normally it might sell 15. One mother came in to buy her first gun after she and her two children, ages 9 and 12, witnessed a slaying on the streets of New Orleans, said Scott Roe, Spillway's owner.

''Her comment was, 'I was a card-carrying, antigun liberal -- not anymore,' " Roe said. ''She said, 'I'm going back home, and I am not going back unarmed.' "
    There's a widespread belief that high violence rates promote support for gun control. This is actually not true; the high point in American opinion polls for a ban on handguns was 1959. People that do not perceive that they will personally need a gun for self-defense are generally more willing to go along with gun bans, and this is part of why Britons put up with the Firearms Act of 1920. When violence becomes sufficiently widespread and random that ordinary people think that they might need a gun to defend themselves, they are less willing to tolerate very restrictive gun bans.

posted by Clayton at 8:11 AM

The article he quoted is Here: http://www.boston.com/news/weather/arti ... customers/
    Halted Gun Sales Infuriate (Walmart) Customers

Clayton Cramer's web site is Here: http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/blogger.html

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have long thought that as well.

Take a anti-gunner liberal and argue with them for days about how guns protect people and they will not listen. However if they or a close friend or family memeber is a victim of violence when a gun could have saved them and all of the sudden they are upset about all the gun restrictions.

This is probably true of a great many regular folk who only get the media and the Brady Bunch's spin.

3. seajay

seajay Active Member

The only sad part about this is that so many lost to the hoods to prove the point we are trying to make. We need to get the band cranked up here while the issue is still in our favor.

4. b8fish

b8fish New Member

Only this week, a colleague at my office came in and closed my door for advice about handguns -- I'm the office gun-nut. His home was burgled Friday night while he, his wife and 2 small children were asleep upstairs. Fortunately they remained asleep and the predators left only with replaceable possessions. So, a "never shot a gun, never wanted a gun" victim is wanting to learn all about them. I lent him my copy of "The Concealed Handgun Manual" and we have a range date next week. My actual advice though was "if you only want one gun, for home-defense, and don't want to practice until proficient, get a shotgun."

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I think we all are.

7. seajay

seajay Active Member

Almost everyone at my office is now a gun nut!!!

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member