Is Kavanaugh A Closet Moderate Leaning Liberal?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Nemo, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Indications are some would say yes.

Nemo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...erts-brett-kavanaugh-tie-up-court/3342377002/

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Still waiting and seeing. I'd have to know a LOT more about those cases than simply who voted how.

The liberals might have been correct based upon the law, and therefore, Kavanaugh would be correct, and his vote along with the liberals would not bother me. There is no way to know that from the article and without digging deeply into each of these cases to see what is what.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Lots of people got pissed at Trump when he didn't fulfill all his campaign promises within his first week. Why must everything be instant gratification? I'm willing to wait and see. And even then I may disagree with some of his rulings.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Kavanaugh said, during his confimation hearings, that he will follow existing Supreme Court precedent, when asked about gun control and, I think, abortion.
    So if he's going to go along with all the liberal judicial-activist cases from the 1960's to the 2000's, even recent cases like Heller, he'll be deviating from the letter and the spirit of the Constitution a lot.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't mean that Heller is a bad decision. What I mean is that Cavanagh seems determined to follow even recent controversial Supreme Court decisions. So while following Heller would generally be a good thing for most gun control issues, it's not a good sign that the new justice did not even suggest the possibility that he would vote to overrule bad precedent .

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

He needs a few years of lib rulings to fade the heat of "impeach him".

7. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

I sure as hell hope not. I think everyone knows how the democrat appointees will rule on cases 90% of the time. its the conservative appointed justices that make it interesting. LIke gay marriage with Kennedy and Obamacare with Roberts. When was the last time someone was shocked with a democratic appointee on a decision? Roberts was very wrong when he slammed trump over the term "obama judges" or democrat judges. Trump was 100% correct. it should not matter who appoints them, but seems while both have activism the left has much more. The left really got lucky as hell with that disgrace stevens and souter. IF not for republicans neither would be in the history books yet both give the finger to the reupblican party and retire while that ,......obama was in power.