Is It Real Or Is It Memorex?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... ome-center
    :roll:

2. merlock

merlock New Member

He must be a super professional :shakehead:

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I wonder which model it was a mock up of as the LAPD has several different firearms in-service. I think their latest purchases have been Glocks, and Glock offers training pistols with different colored frames to help tell them apart. I have seen neutered pistols of other makes that have been marked to set them apart.

This sounds like a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

What kind of training guns look and sound like real guns? I've seen red and blue guns before and those certainly don't like like real guns. The guns on the FATS system I got to use were modified real guns with big wires attached. Does anyone know? I'm not trying to cast doubt on the training officer, but I am curious. Maybe a blank gun?

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Some places will use actual pistols with the firing pin removed as training pistols. Usually they are clearly marked somehow so as to be readily distinguished.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Who the hell let live ammo in a training area?

Of the Four Rules, he broke every damn one.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

8. maggie

maggie New Member

metro area

Didn't something similar happen in or to cobb county or Austell in last five years ? Fatal shot to female officer ?

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Every gun is loaded until you know otherwise for yourself.
    :shakehead:

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Re: metro area

Yup, somehow a live round got mixed in with some dummy ammo, and an absolute idiot had the students doing a completely dumbfounding drill. When he demonstrated he fired a live round into the woman. He should have been prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter.

11. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I remember that Brandon Lee got killed by a blank round. **** does happen. If that department used 'fake guns' I would have made sure they were clearly painted in a non-gun color and took hellaciously strict precautions as far as how they are used i.e. not in the same area as real guns, no outside magazines or ammo, locked area when nobody is around.... hell, body armor should have been used as well.

Sad situation.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The prop guy dumped the powder out of some rounds and reseated the bullets so that a revolver could be used in a scene in such a manner that the bullets could be seen in the chambers. It seems they didn't have any dummy rounds on hand. At some point, somebody pulled the trigger on one of these rounds, and the primer explosion had just enough force to dislodge a bullet and stick it in the barrel. This wasn't noticed, and later, a blank round was fired. It produced enough force to propel the bullet the rest of the way through the barrel and with enough force to kill. At least that is my understanding of the incident.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

makes ya think.....at some point, some guy was like "yeah.....yeah......this is an awesome idea. I am so friggin smart!"

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: Good idea... in theory

Kind of like communism.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

No one noticed the empty case from the first time around? It had to have been removed to load the blanks...

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Ah, but the article says that they sounded like real weapons. Do you think they just meant for slide racking? Otherwise, I don't understand.

17. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Could very well be.