Is it OK to hunt squirrels in Cobb County

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mygunstoo, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Just need to know if it is OK to hunt squirrels in Cobb county with air gun and or 22 rim fire.

2. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

well depends on which type you want to hunt:

[​IMG]
    this type fights back.. be prepared for a serious fire fight and possible air support when encountering this breed.

[​IMG]
    This type of tree rat has learned our ways and has developed its abilities.

I would hunt where these less chance that the lead wont come down and hit anything when you miss. An air rifle would be more safe and less likley to travel long distances like the 22 LR. Either way please be careful if you do so and be aware of not whats near your target but also behind it as in a mile behind it :D

3. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

:rotfl2:

4. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

I asked around.

This guy . . .

[​IMG]
    says NO.

This guy . . .

[​IMG]
    says YES.

Sorry I couldn't add any clarity to this debate.

5. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

You'll need to check the local codes... for code and your local city.
    They're likely to have a restriction on discharging a firearm. :shock:

Here is Cobb County

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10572&stateId=10&stateName=Georgia

Sec. 86-5. - Weapons discharge.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm, air rifle, pellet gun, slingshot, crossbow or other similar device into or over property belonging to another person or entity without first obtaining written permission from that person or entity.

(b) In addition to the penalty provided for in section 86-1, if the person charged with violating this ordinance is a minor, it will be within the discretion of the officer issuing the citation to issue a warning. If this is done, a duplicate of the warning will be sent to the minor's parents or legal guardian by certified mail.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
    (1) Persons who discharge one of these devices in defense of person or property;
    (2) Law enforcement officers in the performance of official duties;
    (3) Military forces of this state or the United States in the performance of official duties.
    (Ord. of 6-27-00)

6. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

I would use an air rifle. You will get locked up for discharging a firearm in Cobb.

7. smn

smn Active Member

8. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I've hunted squirrels in Cobb County for years.
    I usually just use my car. :wink:

[​IMG]

9. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i can give you a few good recipes........... i'm from alabama, where squirrel is a food group :p

10. the279

the279 New Member

Ypu look like a crazy squirrel killer 8) 8) 8)

11. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Thank you for your replies. Here is what I had found so far. Squirrel season is open from mid August through the end of February. If I were to hunt them on my property, I would not need a hunting license. Otherwise, I would need to buy the license for $10.00 (the additional $9.00 is for deer :wink:)

Now the weapon. Air rifle is OK as long as I do not shoot across property lines :roll: . I think using CB Longs in a 10/22 Ruger would not be legally OK, although it does not sound like a 22 LR.

If get the license and permission from my neighbors to get into their yards I could hunt those little critters. The area of all the yards together would be about 3 acres of grass and hardwoods.

I will find out tomorrow with Cobb Police about the CB Long. Maybe.

12. {TEX}Hawaii((

{TEX}Hawaii(( New Member

Do you eat squirrel :sick: or just doing some rodent control? I kill them year round as part of rodent control...nothing like having one of those rats gnaw into your house and die between the walls. The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Ya'll just remember the 50 yard distance requirement from a public road.

Enjoy your hunting! I grew up hearing that squirrel aren't fit to eat until we've had a good hard frost. Worms! Any thoughts from others, or is that just a Pennsylvania thing?

14. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

It is mostly rodent control for my neighbors and I. The squirrels get on their roofs and eat their gardens.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you live within a city's city limits, make sure that it;s legal to discharge a firearm in the city limits.

16. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I've heard that about greens, but not squirrels.

17. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

If I stay on my rear property line, I would be a bit further than 50yds. So all hunting with firearm would be from one place. Sniper time :lol: .

I do not live within city limits.

18. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Squirrel Pot Pie!

19. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i remember the hunting season starting oct.15 and sometimes that was early, you wait till a frost or 2 so they weren't infested with warbles (we called them "wolves")

20. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Well I remember killing squirrels that looked like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warble_fly but never knew what was wrong with them.