Is it me or........

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tj2000, May 16, 2007.

1. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to delay a Bush administration plan to allow Mexican trucks full access to U.S. highways.

The trucks would have to be declared safe first, the lawmakers said, and Mexico would have to give U.S. truckers the same access south of the border.

The House voted 411-3 to approve a three-year Department of Transportation pilot program that would restrict opening the border to 100 carriers based in Mexico. They would be allowed to use a maximum of 1,000 vehicles under the pilot program.
    The Bush administration wanted to start a pilot program this year that would run for a year before fully opening the border to Mexican trucks.

The House bill, however, specifies criteria for the pilot program before it can start, including setting up an independent panel to evaluate the test program and getting certification from the inspector general that safety and inspection requirements have been met.

The Department of Transportation says it could be as late as 2008 before Congress' criteria are met, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Lawmakers said their major concern is whether Mexican trucks, often older than U.S. cargo vehicles, and Mexican drivers will be able to meet rigorous U.S. safety standards.

"We do not need 90,000-pound unguided missiles on our highways," said Rep. Robin Hayes, R-North Carolina.

American trucking companies have spent years getting their vehicles up to Transportation Department standards, lawmakers said. Letting Mexican trucks across the border without making them meet those standards is wrong, they said.

"We're going to have a major accident somewhere, and people are going to say, 'How did this happen?" said Rep. Bob Filner, D-California.

Added Rep. Candice Miller, R-Michigan: "We need to ensure that this program only takes places after the Mexican companies meet the same conditions that American companies do."

Since we know terrorist used planes to attack us, wouldn't it be fair to say they could use massive trucks to cause major problems?
    Since our Mexican border is so secure we shouldn't expect any of those terrorist from those known training camps in Central America to come up here with any of those trucks.
    And not to mention the people smuggling that could happen.
    So it must just be my paranoia, RIGHT?
    Good, there for a moment my mind went crazy on me.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Taurus

Taurus New Member

TJ, first off, your mind is already crazy..LOL... :wink:

But this plan would open wayyyyy to many doors to alllow threats into this country...One hand they are talking about building a huge fence to keep illegal folks out of here , then they want to open a big wide unrestricted door,,LOL..I think someone in the White House is extremly confuzled....