Is it me or is this normal?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Tinkerhell, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

So, my wife comes home this evening really PO'ed about work stuff. It's a nice afternoon out so I suggest firing off a few rounds & see if that makes her feel better. The piece of land I've been target practicing on has recently been sold & has been graded off and has two large piece of equipment sitting in the middle of it. Two very large, very expensive, very I-don't-want-to-accidentally-put-holes-in-it pieces of equipment.. So I relocate & set up my targets on a foot path that I have going around my property. The location is such that when we backed off about 10 yards from the targets we were actually about 5-10 feet higher up than what we were shooting at.
    My wife steps up & fires three rounds.
    No hits.
    This is odd.
    She fires again.
    No hits.
    She is not happy. This is not improving her mood at all.
    She tries another 3 rounds. These hit but very low.

I then shoot. Mine all hit but also very low. I fire the rest of the mag & it turns out that I had to adjust my sight picture to get rounds into the bullseye. She also finally adjusted her aim & brought her hits more where they should be.
    (in both our defense we were not shooting at full torso targets, just a piece of cardboard about 24" high x 48" wide. If it had been full silhouette targets we would have been neutering them :oops: )

So my question is this? Is it normal to have to adjust sight picture, when firing from a higher position like that or was it just us? It seems odd that you should have to shoot high because you target is markedly lower than the shooter. I would think that you should maintain your normal sight picture but that certainly wasn't working for us at all. Is the opposite true if you are firing uphill; you should aim low?

very confused.

btw, I highly recommend trying this out if you have the chance. I thought it would be nothing different than shooting at a target that is on the same "altitude" that you are. It is not the same. And it was humbling. I'm not great shot but I can usually put everything into a center mass kinda grouping. Not today. :?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I don't see why altitude would affect sight picture. A straight line is a straight line no matter what kinda angle it makes with the horizontal. Maybe I'm confused :)

3. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

At that distance no. It was you.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, not at that distance. Weird.

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

yeah a fellow GCO member buddy of mine came out yesterday to put some lead downrange. He had no problem with it. So it's me & the wife. Don't know what my issue is but shooting down (and I suspect up) throws me off. The fix - practice... Good thing I've got another 6-700 rounds in the vault!

On a side note my buddy brought out his spiffy ar15. Real nice, real lightweight. Some kind of cool ambient light sight and a nice flashlight mounted on it. He fired 6 rounds & it jammed on the 7th and he couldn't get it un-jammed. I broke out the wasr10 and fired about 3 mags worth of wolf without a hitch. He finally walked back to his car & got his AK clone & did the same. I laughed he cussed. I think his opinion on which rifle he'd grab in an emergency just changed. He said something about maybe sellng the AR and putting the money toward his bike. :lol:

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What ammo was he shooting in the AR? Also, it could have been the mags. Might not have had anti-tilt followers.

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

He finally got it home & managed to manhandle the bolt back. I didn't see it & I don't know what time of ammo he was using, but he said it looked like something was screwy with the round & that must have caused it. Sorry for the highly detailed description of the resolution but that's about what I got.