Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife comes home this evening really PO'ed about work stuff. It's a nice afternoon out so I suggest firing off a few rounds & see if that makes her feel better. The piece of land I've been target practicing on has recently been sold & has been graded off and has two large piece of equipment sitting in the middle of it. Two very large, very expensive, very I-don't-want-to-accidentally-put-holes-in-it pieces of equipment.. So I relocate & set up my targets on a foot path that I have going around my property. The location is such that when we backed off about 10 yards from the targets we were actually about 5-10 feet higher up than what we were shooting at.
My wife steps up & fires three rounds.
No hits.
This is odd.
She fires again.
No hits.
She is not happy. This is not improving her mood at all.
She tries another 3 rounds. These hit but very low.

I then shoot. Mine all hit but also very low. I fire the rest of the mag & it turns out that I had to adjust my sight picture to get rounds into the bullseye. She also finally adjusted her aim & brought her hits more where they should be.
(in both our defense we were not shooting at full torso targets, just a piece of cardboard about 24" high x 48" wide. If it had been full silhouette targets we would have been neutering them :oops: )

So my question is this? Is it normal to have to adjust sight picture, when firing from a higher position like that or was it just us? It seems odd that you should have to shoot high because you target is markedly lower than the shooter. I would think that you should maintain your normal sight picture but that certainly wasn't working for us at all. Is the opposite true if you are firing uphill; you should aim low?

very confused.

btw, I highly recommend trying this out if you have the chance. I thought it would be nothing different than shooting at a target that is on the same "altitude" that you are. It is not the same. And it was humbling. I'm not great shot but I can usually put everything into a center mass kinda grouping. Not today. :?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I don't see why altitude would affect sight picture. A straight line is a straight line no matter what kinda angle it makes with the horizontal. Maybe I'm confused :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
At that distance no. It was you.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah a fellow GCO member buddy of mine came out yesterday to put some lead downrange. He had no problem with it. So it's me & the wife. Don't know what my issue is but shooting down (and I suspect up) throws me off. The fix - practice... Good thing I've got another 6-700 rounds in the vault!

On a side note my buddy brought out his spiffy ar15. Real nice, real lightweight. Some kind of cool ambient light sight and a nice flashlight mounted on it. He fired 6 rounds & it jammed on the 7th and he couldn't get it un-jammed. I broke out the wasr10 and fired about 3 mags worth of wolf without a hitch. He finally walked back to his car & got his AK clone & did the same. I laughed he cussed. I think his opinion on which rifle he'd grab in an emergency just changed. He said something about maybe sellng the AR and putting the money toward his bike. :lol:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He finally got it home & managed to manhandle the bolt back. I didn't see it & I don't know what time of ammo he was using, but he said it looked like something was screwy with the round & that must have caused it. Sorry for the highly detailed description of the resolution but that's about what I got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts