Is it legal to carry in National forests?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Ace12, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Ace12

Ace12 Member

I am going to be scouting out some hunting areas in the Chattahoochee National forest and I want to take my CCW along. Anyone have any info on whether or not it's legal. I know you can legaly hunt, so it should be ok to CC but i want to be sure.

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Excellent question I heard asked at least 3 times today at the Cobb county gun show.

Are you intending on carrying during hunting season or earlier. That may influence the answer.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I believe that carry in National Forests is okay, but carry in National Parks is not. Ranger stations and the like in the Forest would also be off-limits, since it's a publicly owned building. I haven't done much research on this, though, since I'm scared of the sun.

4. Ace12

Ace12 Member

It would be nice to see it in writing. Anyone actually read this somewhere? if so, please post a link or tell me where to go in the code.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

O.C.G.A. § 12-3-10

I assume the "department" in part (a) means Dept of Natural Resources.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Okay here is the short version. Carry in National Forests is legal. However most of the National forest area in GA is leased by the state for Wildlife Management Areas(WMA). Carry on a WMA is not legal unless there is an open season and you have a hunting license and a WMA stamp.

That means this time of year you can carry a squirrel gun. Shotgun with small shot or a .22 or smaller rimfire.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

You can carry in the National Forest...with exceptions.

Basically, the Feds own the tree's, and the state owns the animals. What this means is that the majority of the National Forests in Georgia are also Georgia Wildlife Management Areas (WMA). Because they are WMA's, you are governed by state law for carrying a weapon. If you are camping/hiking in a WMA, and unless you have a hunting license, and are actually hunting, you won't be able to carry. It's a misdemeanor if you're caught. The code is:

8. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

When i was at coopers creek WMA this year during trout season and turkey...I carried my .40 and the game warden did not have a problem he said just keep it low key. I carried under my waders and on my side at all times. Now im sure it all depends on the game warden because i know the head game warden in Dawson forest and im sure he wouldn't be to happy if he found you carry a firearm that was not used during hunting season.

9. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Trout with a .40? You must be really expert. I generaly use .25# of C4. :D

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The majority of National Forests are WMA's? Is this true?

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Georgia only has two national forests, the Chattahoochee and the Oconee. Portions of both are WMA's but not the entire area.

MP, you checked you email lately?

12. Malum Prohibitum

No, but I guess that I should.

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Check it out.

http://www.n-georgia.com/wildlifemap.htm

Chattahooche/Oconnee is predominantly in N. Georgia, which also has a large number of WMA's.

I have a better map (on paper), but have not found a source online. Unfortunately the map at the link above shows the county borders, with proximate WMA listed on the map. What you don't see is the WMA border.

Bottom line - be cautious...find out where you are before OC.

14. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Okay you caught me I am not sure of the exact percentage. So maybe its 49.9% but the state leases a lot of the NF land in GA and I have not been able to find an overlay map that lays the WMA onto the NF

15. Malum Prohibitum

:rotfl:

16. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I've got one of those on paper...I need to find it. That's what I was referring to in my post.

17. Ace12

Ace12 Member

Well, the area I am refering to is not a wma, just national forest.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Any National Forest land not in use as a WMA is ok to carry open or concealed with your GFL.

19. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

I can definitely attest to the fact that it depends on the officer or technician in question. Most are very pro-gun and many that I have talked to would not mess with someone concealed carrying. I think many have an unofficial "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Having said that, conceal carry on a WMA at your own risk and if you do, don't do anything stupid.

20. Malum Prohibitum

:lol: Isn't that the truth!