Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second Thoughts
A BLOG FROM THE CENTER FOR FIREARMS LAW AT DUKE UNIVERSITY

Is First Amendment Fee Jurisprudence the Right Approach to the Second Amendment?
https://sites.law.duke.edu/secondthoughts/2019/07/15/is-first-amendment-fee-jurisprudence-the-right-approach-to-the-second-amendment/

"The historical record suggests: Maybe not.

First Amendment "fee jurisprudence" deals with the constitutionality of fees charged by governmental entities on activities protected by the First Amendment, like fees charged to hold a rally or parade. The rule is that fees can be imposed on the exercise of a constitutional right when the fees are designed to defray, and do not exceed, the administrative costs of regulating the protected activity. The Second Circuit borrowed First Amendment fee jurisprudence in the Second Amendment context in Kwong v. Bloomberg. Kwong upheld a $340 firearm licensing fee because it was designed to defray (and did not exceed) the administrative costs associated with the licensing scheme. A handful of other courts (e.g., here, here) have also adopted First Amendment fee jurisprudence in the Second Amendment context"

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,240 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost the government to non-regulate guns?
You know, as if "shall not be infringed" were taken literally?

We could reimburse the government for THOSE expenses with just the change we find under our sofa cushions.

Reactions: Phil1979

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Here in GA I highly doubt it cost $70/$30 to issue a GFWL. If we were to remove the license requirement would anyone lose their job? Would certain technology cease to exist in the probate office? What costs would stop for the probate judge that isn't already tax payer funded?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,817 Posts
There should be no license required to carry in the "normal" places. If you are licensed you should be able to practically carry anywhere, i.e. we get added to OCGA 16-11-130.

Reactions: Savannah Dan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts