Is carry at the airport now legal?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Macktee, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I know this has been discussed and answered, but I'm still confused. Before anyone can jump on that, I know I'm confused about many, many things, not just this. But.....

Did the last revision of our antiquated gun laws finally open up the non-secure areas of the Atlanta airport for carry or not?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can carry outside the building, in your car, and in the parking lot. It is almost certainly illegal inside of the building.

3. It seems like only Hartsfield is off limits because they house a division of APD.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I assume that by "the airport" he meant HJAIA.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Airport terminals disappeared as a restricted area when the list of places under "public gatherings" disappeared. The confusion now rests in the fact that many terminals house "government entities", hence making it a government building. I think this is weak, and I don't think other terminals would care. Augusta was allowing curbside carry prior to SB-308. They do house an office of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, but that's upstairs. I'd be willing to bet they would allow carry in the terminal now. I need to go back out there, and talk to them.

We need a test case, "Macktee". Come on! It could be part of your legacy! :lol:

6. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

seems it would be off limits if it houses a govt entity??

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

the City and the Airport Management certainly THINK that they can ban guns from the airport, and they got a federal judge to agree with them. Regardless of any state laws on the subject, they say they have federal law on their side, even though they can't point to a single federal statute prohibiting guns at commercial passenger air terminals.

Also, it may be relevant to note that there was a bill introduced to specifically allow airport carry (in the non-secure areas of the airport), and if I recall correctly, although it passed in the General Assembley, the Governor VETOED it.
    So it is not part of our law.
    But the fact that it was introduced and considred shows that the legislators considered the Atlanta Airport to be currently off-limits under existing law, and they tried to reverse that, but they were unsuccessful.

Bottom line: I'm not carrying at the airport until there is both a specific state law clearly authorizing it, and mentioning airport terminals and airport buildings specifically.

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Aside from the confusion in the jungle of Government building definitions, can anyone cite a specific state law that specifically prohibits airport carry?

9. 70755

70755 Guest

I think it all hangs on the definition of Government Building and related Government Entity. Clearly, the Atlanta airport terminal meets that definition it would seem.

10. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I'll be a test case. We have Marines coming back from Iraq tommorrow night at 2200 (10pm). They're talking about having us wear our service uniforms for the greeting, but if I go in civvy's (civilian attire), I will open carry. I think being in the military I should be exempted, so if need be I can fall back on that.

Now, this is all provided that my command doesn't prohibit me from open carrying before I even get there. lol.

Not to mention, it also boils down if I just plain chicken out.

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

You hold the same exemptions as any LEO. You shouldn't have any problem, but carry a copy of the law with you. Call me, if you need bailed out! :lol:

12. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I always carry a copy of the law with me just in case, guess I'm just paranoid. I will definitely give you a call if I need a bailout lol, I don't know who else I'd call anyways. Guess I could call David to come bail me out, but I guess ultimately, it'd be you bailing me out in that case too hhahaah ...

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You are exemped, so its legal for you. Just be sure to have your military ID on you (and your GWL doesn't legally help, but it couldn't hurt).

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This. :up:

15. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

Well all I know is I do NOT want to take a trip to the Clayton Co pokey!!!! I will not carry inside the building until it is as clear as day according to the laws.

16. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51851

Yeap, there is great confusion over airport BUILDING carry or simply put....."can I carry into a building at an airport?".....if such place to carry is not beyond the Federal Restricted Areas otherwise known as TSAs.

In my above quote I never broke any law. I did not carry into a building that "housed" a gov entity nor did I enter or pass onto any part prohibited by Federal Law. AND YES I was within 100 feet of the runway sitting in a lounge chair watching old airplanes take off and land and had the ability to walk across the runway as well to help a freind with his airplane! Here is the tricky part....on the fence that surrounds the ramp area there are signs that say restricted area.....but it ain't no TSA or federal restricted areas by any gun laws!

Idiot politicians in Atlanta just don't get it!

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

19. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46842

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

That was SB291. This bill also contained the Katrina language that would prevent the seizure of weapons during a declared state of emergency. Keep in mind this bill passed both houses overwhelmingly before Gov. Perdue vetoed it and that this veto can still be overridden in the next session. This may be one of the things we need to ask our new and returning representatives to do.