Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some people telling me that a Notary public is a clerk of the court. If so would I be able to carry in the court house and any where a LEO could carry? Could I carry in Middle Georgia Tech? What does it take to be a Notary Public in Georgia? I know lots of Questions!! :)

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(15) Clerks of the superior courts.

thanks,
Marine6212

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I didn't think that it did but I wasn't 100% sure!

Semperfi,
Marine6212

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
only clerks of the "Superior" court?
Why not the State court, too, in counties that have a State court system?

Anyhow, a notary public is not a "clerk" of any court, although they may be called "officers of the court" because they are sworn-in and commissioned by the courts. Once commissioned and holding that office of notary public, they are authorized to administer oaths to witnesses and to people signing a sworn statement.

Here's some useful info on notaries:
http://www.gsccca.org/Projects/galaw.asp

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
gunsmoker said:
only clerks of the "Superior" court?
Why not the State court, too, in counties that have a State court system?

Anyhow, a notary public is not a "clerk" of any court, although they may be called "officers of the court" because they are sworn-in and commissioned by the courts. Once commissioned and holding that office of notary public, they are authorized to administer oaths to witnesses and to people signing a sworn statement.

Here's some useful info on notaries:
http://www.gsccca.org/Projects/galaw.asp
Superior Court Clerks are elected constitutional officers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts